Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-03-2001, 09:55 AM
Inactive User

Question 300M Performance Upgrades???

I recently bought an '01 300M with the Performance Handling Group. I've added a Borla exhaust and S&B filter. I've heard of owners boring out their throttle body, but can't find much additional info on performance upgrades. Any suggestions?
Old 08-03-2001, 10:21 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

With a car so new, the after market isn't likely to have much. Not to mention they will only make things for the car if theres a demand or a Chrysler nut just doing for the fun of it.
Your car allready has some of the best things built right into it that use older guys wouldnt mind having. A real plus.
Start with the basics and cover everyhing you can think off. Boreing out the throttle body sounds good. (Like a big carb). Remove the air box and custom intake cleaner track.
How about you ignition system. DIS right? Bigger wires / better wires, more plug gap. Free flowing mufflers/ cat. Next size pipe while your there. No2 gas.
Can you get a shift kit or change drive ratio's.
Do you HAVE to pass emisions? Hey, I just thought I'd ask. Some don't have to or care. ( Yes, I know it's a new car)
I hate to write this next line, just shows my lack of newer car info but, the ricers have some interesting mods that could give you an idea or two. Hey, what works good for them ought to work great for you!
Old 08-03-2001, 10:34 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by rumblefish360

Do you HAVE to pass emisions? Hey, I just thought I'd ask. Some don't have to or care. ( Yes, I know it's a new car)
Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I will have to pass emissions (I'm near Chicago, IL). Though my first emissions test won't be--I think--until the car's three years old, I obviously don't want to do anything that I'll have to undo later.

I'm actually a little surprised that there don't seem to be any Mopar performance parts for this car--it was introduced as a '99 model and, of course, Chrysler chose to use the 300 moniker to harken back to the glory days of its earlier 300's. The handling and braking are top notch. The Borla and S&B filter have helped the acceleration, but I just came out of a much faster car (a Supra Twin Turbo) and, while I know I can't duplicate that car's straight-line performance, I'd like to do what I can to give 'er a little more oomph. Overall, though, this is a great car.

The rumor is that Chrysler will be offering a 300 h.p. version of the 300M in '02--hopefully, some of the upgrades can be retrofitted.
Old 08-03-2001, 04:35 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

My suggestion is for you to find ANYTHING to beef up that automatic. also note according to a Internal TSB(Technical Service bulliten) using the auto stick will halve the life of the tranny..
If you can get a better torque converter..DO and if you can get some better clutches DO..
Oh and the 300M S(pecial) is ging to be a 290hp 3.5 liter(I dont think the Asians have a V6 with that kind of power unless its turbocharged) along with the HP boost the 300MS will have a ZF 5 speed Auto...becaus ethe stock tranny cannot hope to take 290hp...
You can also look into cleaning up the intake manifold casting..If you a guy who like to do things for himself...
Oh and does yours have those 17" wheels???
Maxwedge
Old 08-06-2001, 09:33 PM

I hope they fixed some bugs between the 99 model and the 01s...

If you care about the warrenty (you should) make sure that none of what you plan on doing with void it.
Old 08-08-2001, 09:34 AM
Inactive User

Default 300M = Prowler drivetrain?

here is a copy of my post in this section.... I have had some responses but not many.....
2000 300M has the same engine tranny as the Prowler (except the tranny is located at the rear on the prowler) I want to add a supercharger and/or nitrous or dual turbos and nitrous (nitrous just to reduce predetonation on WOT) They make super charger kits for the prowler but the underhood dimensions are different from the 300M (and cost $6000). What are the minimum requirements for super / turbo charging? (ie; purge valve, boost limiter, how to retard, water injection) I am also trying to find a way to reprogram the computer for 21" tires and for unlimited MPH (may have to order the performce computer but it is calibrated for 16" tires) There is also a chain set I can order for the Transmisson that will reduce my gear ratio for harder launches / faster acceleration. How do I reprogram the CPU for the new ratio? ... i know LOTS of questions but mopar can't help. They are V8 oriented not V6 oriented. Any gear head response would be apreciated... NOTEs(253 bhp, 11-1 compression stock, 17" tires stock, intake is a DRY system and is made of composite materials, fuel pump and pressure regulator are in the fuel tank)

Thanks NEO RULES (NEO=NEW)
Old 08-08-2001, 10:21 AM

If intake is composite, forget cleaning it up. it is probably smooth as a babies butt inside, being a dry setup. Larger throttle body seems to be a hot mod, bigger fuel injectors for more fuel when you get the rest of the motor heavy breathing. Being an 11:1 car already, I doubt a computer hack will be of use. Be careful of timing tweaks with that "new" software. I think your seat-o-the-pants meter will be in the trans and gearing. N20 is an option with the proper software (timing, fuel pressure, etc.) Does it have a tuned exhaust (headers). All out mods might include head porting/polishing and a larger intake runners. I have a SOHC Stealth motor in my Diamante, and support is weak. This motor 3.0 V6 is in about 1 million cars and no one seems to have picked its performance market up.
Old 08-08-2001, 03:27 PM
Inactive User

The guy you need to contact about the 300M performance stuff is Dean Prodromides.

His website is: prowlerpro.com
His email address is: 400hp@prowlerpro.com

He is currently developing a NOS system for the 300M and other performance goodies. He will have a package called the 400M as it will be making 400hp. Email him to discuss options.

He is developing a DRY NOS System for the 300M wich is an awesome design that is VERY safe.