Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-26-2000, 05:42 AM
Inactive User

This problem just started, can't keep head gaskets on my 318, 9.5 comp SB.
Keeps blowin into a water passage, ever so slightly. The engine builder is the machine shop and doesn't have a answer. Using felpro .039 head gaskets. The motor was built the begining of the year, and went 16 races before a problem. Fixed it and ran one race and it did it again. The heads are studded as MP said that " should end blown head gaskets" Any thoughts guys?

Michael
Old 10-26-2000, 11:43 AM

Thumbs up

Are you sure your gasket surfaces are straight? Is it blown or burnt? Try FelPro#1008 gasket. It should last

TeRo http://www.paalupaikka.com/racevaliant

------------------
Old 10-27-2000, 01:19 AM

I am curious what detective steps you have taken. What my thoughts are, is that you could have several things that produce the same symptoms as a blown head gasket, but are caused by different things.

Typically, you can run up to 12:1 or so without head studs. I have a couple engines together right now like that. This requires Felpro race gaskets and good bolts with washers. When the gasket does blow, it usually goes into the lifter galley, where the heads contact the block the least.

Have you checked the compression to determine the loss, pressure check the system prior to start up, etc. I would like to think that the problem is something like a head bolt being too long. This can happen if you milled the heads alot, but you say that you are using studs. Are the threads of the nut bottoming on the studs?