Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-03-2001, 07:31 PM
Inactive User

Default weights of cars

Does anyone know of a site that I can find out the dif wts of mopars? With dif eng combos and such? thanks
Old 08-03-2001, 09:16 PM

Check out http://www.geocities.com/musclemopars/bodyweights.htm .

While it doesn't break it down by moter size, it's one of the most complete I've seen.
Old 08-03-2001, 11:43 PM
Inactive User

Most of those numbers seem a little lighter than what those cars really weight. IMO.
Old 08-03-2001, 11:48 PM

I feel thee same way, i guess, but it is a guide. Short of taking the car to a truck stop with scales or the local strip any posted number is just a guide anyway. (IMHO)
Old 08-04-2001, 12:00 AM
Inactive User

Quietdad, I hope you dont think I was insulting you or anything.
That wasnt my intention. I just weight my car about 3 weeks ago,
A circle track friend let me borrow his digtal set, its a 68 fastback baracuda 440 stock interior, Al heads,5gal of gas,fiberglasshood it weight was 3400 46% weight on the rear 53.9% on the front.
I really thought it would be a bit lighter. 3610 w/driver
Jim
Old 08-04-2001, 11:37 AM

No insult taken. The guy asked for weights. I told him a possible site and you added an opinion. You didn't "disagree", you didn't post "Hey, that idiot pointed you to crap..." I also agree with you that it's a little off. My 383 Roadrunner came out a few hunfred pounds lighter also so who knows ....
Old 08-04-2001, 01:40 PM
Inactive User

JCFcuda that's my website and those weights sound a little light to me too. I didn't make them up, the information is from "The Standard Catalog of American Cars 1945 - 1975" where they are listed as "factory shipping weight". I assume that the given weights are for base models with no fuel. When you start adding optional equipment and a tank of fuel @ 6 pounds per gallon, the figures would be closer to "real world" weights. I just added a disclaimer to the top of the page, I hope it helps prevent any confusion.
Old 08-04-2001, 01:43 PM

Based on what I have heard from others, I know that actual weight will vary a bit from factory weight and the true weight is commonly on the plus side by 100-200lbs from their paper spec.
Besides being a "Mopar", does anyone know why the factory numbers can be so far off from reality. A 68 barracuda with iron heads and steel hood is supposed to be about 500 lbs less than JCF's barracuda is. Take away about another 100 plus pounds of steel and it should be lighter by 600 lbs anyway from what he is weighing in at now.
Even if the numbers were representing a small block for that year and a big block was put in, it should be no where near this high. I've got a 69 barracuda with a 340 6 pack and nothing else lightened and I will be weighing it at the end of the month. Based on the numbers on paper and what I just heard, I was planning on being about 200lbs of unhappy but it looks like I'm going to be 500 Lbs on the unhappy side.
Old 08-04-2001, 02:15 PM
Inactive User

Default weight of my 68

i just weighed my 68 charger 383 4spd a/c p/w p/b full ins comp int spare tire jack pretty much everything the way it would have been delivered it was 3960 with out a driver my cousins 69 charger the same scale basicly the same car except not qute as complete yet was 3940 i have been told that the base weights are always low and they just that a base without optins under coat fuel just a base for shipping
Old 08-04-2001, 05:42 PM
Inactive User

I have seen some books with the weights like that website and they are a little light ! They used to say shipping weight years ago and that was always much lighter then the cars were as maybe the factory ment shipped without the eng or something as most cars are 200 to 300 lbs heavier then some of the weights they list. Most 340 A-Bodies weigh around 3200 to 3300 lbs all stock and bigblock B-Bodies average about 3600 to 3900 lbs depending on options ! Ron
Old 08-04-2001, 07:54 PM
Inactive User

One of the easiest ways to get the shipping weight for your ride is thru NHRA,,Its a pain to get to where you need to be on their site,but,they are all listed,,Remember,they,NHRA,use the shipping weight to determine our class classifications in Stock and Superstock,,Factory rated HP(with NHRA's vivid imaginations added) divided by shipping weight gives the a HP to weight factor that eventually classifies us(and lets not leave out the excessive CRYING by the brand-x racers evry time we get a combo to fly in their dominated classes),,I was told along time ago that shipping weight is the car leaving the factory,all fluids added and 5 gals gas,,Good example,currently there are only THREE cars that factor into the SS/AA Hemi dominated class that is so popular nowadays,,The 68 Darts and Cudas need to weigh in at 3150lbs and the lone other combatent allowed is the 64 Hemi Savoy post and it needs to weigh in at 3170 lbs,all are NHRA rated hp wise at 500,, I'll see if in my books round here If I can get some accurate combo numbers,keep in mind though the factory's numbers were played with to get some combo's into classes for racing and you'll see some weird numbers.....