Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-05-2001, 08:14 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up The Dodge's are running better!!

After seeing todays race, it looks as if the Dodges are running a little better. altough I dont think they wont do much next week on a course track. But I do think they WILL do very well on a super speedway. I also think ether Marlin,Ward,or Bill will get a win this year, they still have a chance, Keep up the good work guys...
Old 08-05-2001, 09:15 PM
Inactive User

I'm with ya on this one. I think Atwood would of had a good run today too if he hadn't smashed his front end. Sterling's been real consistent and closest but I like how Ward is lookin out on the track, I think he may be the one to bring it home first. I'm sure it'll happen this year though.
Old 08-05-2001, 09:30 PM
Inactive User

I think Marlin may be the first one in the win column. He has been the most consistent. Although, I'm sure now that he has finished second, one of the other makes will cry and say Dodge has an advantage with that front air dam.
Old 08-05-2001, 09:44 PM
Inactive User

The Chevy guys cant complain too much, cause they had the 2'' extension for awhile now...
Old 08-05-2001, 09:48 PM
Inactive User

anyone with two eyes could see that the dodges were competitive, but were still missing something. I think this front end will even them out a little more. I agree, the way ward was moving up I think he may get the 1st win for the dodges.
Old 08-05-2001, 11:25 PM

The problem I've been seeing with the Dodges this season is it seems that they are sluggish on restarts. I beleive Marlin would have won the Brickyard if his car wasn't so sluggish on the restarts. His car was every bit as fast as Gordon's car was. On the restart where Gordon got past Marlin, it seemed as if it was everything Gordon could do to keep from running Marlin over. Then on the last restart before the race ended, Marlin fell behind Bodine because of a sluggish restart. The Brickyard was a repeat of the Michigan race, except Rudd wasn't involved this time. But Marlin was sluggish on restarts in Michigan too. Whats up with the sluggish restarts?

Sly
Old 08-06-2001, 09:28 AM

There's a snippit on Nascar.com about the restart problem, apparently they made a change to the car to improve gas mileage, and ever since Marlin's car just hasn't been there on the restarts.

Sam
Old 08-06-2001, 09:52 AM
Inactive User

Sluggish restarts were a major problem for the trucks until last year. There was major engineering effort at DC and Arrington to get the truck engines more responsive and still maintain top end horsepower. They finally found the combination. Then Nascar changed the engine rules.

The Cup teams are going through the same problem and they too will find the right combination with the R5/P7 engine. Did you notice the same thing happened in the truck race Friday night?

These types of things are very hard to find on a dyno. It takes race track experience and time.
Old 08-06-2001, 10:55 AM

I have noticed that all season. It is like the Dodges get caught in the wrong gear or something on a restart. Either that or EVERY other car out there has nitrous. (Just an analogy!). I hope they figure that out this year 'cause I truly believe it has cost the #40 a couple of wins already ...
Old 08-06-2001, 11:58 AM

I have read all the posts, and I agree pretty much with all of them, but I think that the problem since Daytona has been that NASCAR is so afraid of giving Dodge an advantage, that they are actually at a disadvantage. I know that it is a new platform and all, but I think that if they would have left them alone for a few races instead of making changes after Daytona, the Dodges would have won some, but I don't think that they would have cleaned house.
With all of that said, I also didn't like the caution that they threw at the end of the race negating the fuel advantage. It seems to me like NASCAR is in bed with the Chevy guys and when they figured out that there weren't any Chevy's that could go the distance, they had to remedy the problem. Enter caution for debris on the track...............100 mile per hour tape. I'm sure that was cause for alarm! Yes, there was a wreck that caused another caution after that, but they didn't know that then.......did they? I know I sound like I'm whining, but it just seems to me that it's always a little too convenient for some other make to pull out a win and Sterling and Ward just don't have the luck. My two cents and ............See ya at the track!
Old 08-06-2001, 12:41 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up Marlin is darlin, but CAT22!!!

The Dodges were more competitive in this race.

Its the first time I've seen any Dodge stick that close to Gorden. Damn, I would have love to have seen Marlin pass him in the last 5 laps.
Old 08-06-2001, 05:33 PM
Inactive User

I heard King Richard mention in an interview that the dodges just dont have the torque that the ford & Chevys have and i think that was pretty evident sunday.
I sure hope they can get this problem solved soon if they dont I think its going to cost them more races than the 2 or 3 it has already cost them this season...
Old 08-06-2001, 08:09 PM
Inactive User

I guess i am really suprised that people think we are doing well. I heard Everham at Indy when he was ask somthing about handling and passing and his answer was " more horsepower, it is easier to pass on the straights than in the corners" and we are down on power. I am disapointed in them so far. Surly Everham and them know what the fords and chevy's made make 50 more and just go by them , don't understand.
Old 08-06-2001, 10:11 PM
Inactive User

I hear ya cuda, we are able to hold our own, but we don't have enough to make things happen out there. I think we are doing great beings the 1st season back and how technical nascar is. Good to see an Iowa boy here Cuda. I am originally from Clutier Iowa. Have a good one, Later.
Old 08-07-2001, 07:40 AM
Inactive User

In an interview on NBC with Sterling Marlin, he stated that he missed a gear on the last restart at Indy. That's why his restart was so bad.
Gotta give him credit for admitting that.