Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-07-2001, 02:58 AM
Inactive User

Default 318 question...

Hello....My Challenger, has a 318 in it, and the last day i drove it, it was pouring out smoke, like you wouldn't believe. It used to just smoke bad, when i would put it into 2nd gear, on the highway, and stop smoking when i put it into 3rd. But last time i drove it, it didn't start smoking for a while, then it just came out like there was no tomorrow. The engine got me home safely, and it ran like a champ on the way home. I can start it now, and it doesn't smoke, but i haven't tried to drive it, because im sure it will smoke... Mopar guys...think this is a valve guide problem, or bad rings? Im going to do a compression check, but what do you think?

I'm still learning about all this stuff...
Old 08-07-2001, 11:06 PM
Inactive User

Definately do a compression check....with the engine warm! do a wet and dry test...everyone pretty much has a compression gauge, but if you dont it should be easy to find one. If the motor has never been apart, id guess its valve seals, all dryed and cracked. 318's are work horses, rings are probably okay even with mega miles. a little blow-by maybe. Try pulling the valve covers and take a peek with a flash light at the seals. I had a problem with oil....but it was kind of minor....cruisin down the road one day everything was fine...i got on it....smoke everywhere...on investigation turns out a valve cover came loose and poured oil all over the header. Needless to say im glad thats all it was!!! moral...dont overlook the most basic stuff...what looks like a major problem could be as simple as tightening valve cover bolts!
Old 08-08-2001, 06:42 AM
Inactive User

Yeah, Thanks, that gives me hope that it may just be the valve guides/seals. I hope that is the case. I miss driving my wittle 318.
Old 08-09-2001, 07:37 AM
Inactive User

I got a good deal on a non running 75 Valiant with a 318. I had a valve job done and a new cam and it runs beautiful. No smoke. It still has the original rings. I would look at the valves before doing rings. However, Mancini racing has a nice deal on a "renew" package it has rings. and main and rod bearings for $120.00. Just used one on my Yellow 68 Cuda that I am driving to the Nats tonight.