Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Neon Club Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-08-2001, 10:17 AM
Inactive User

Question Performance mods to a 2000 Neon

I'm curious about doing, but not really looking to yet do, some performance enhacing modifications on my 2000 Neon.

Are there any easy, but worthwhile performance mods out there that won't void my Amy's warranty? She's got enough power at the moment, but I would like more.

Thanks so much!
Old 08-08-2001, 12:59 PM
Inactive User

Default 2000 mods

There are a couple of websites you should check out, like :
Modernperformance.com, also there is another called howell automotive, but I am not certain of the web site address
Old 08-08-2001, 07:21 PM
Inactive User

Air intake system, Throttle body, Ignition, Exhaust, Tires & wheels, Springs, Strut tower supports, Shifter... Somebody PLEASE stop me!!!
Old 08-09-2001, 09:32 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by kdalters
Air intake system, Throttle body, Ignition, Exhaust, Tires & wheels, Springs, Strut tower supports, Shifter... Somebody PLEASE stop me!!!
Okay.. STOP

I'm talking easy mods. I don't know much about how to work on cars (okay, I can change the oil, rotate the tires, do general maintance), and my luck, I screw my little girl up.

Hence, the easy mods.

At the same time, I would like her to be a true sleeper. No big noisy mufflers and other things that would give people a clue about what she could do...
Old 08-09-2001, 01:41 PM
Inactive User

Go buy a Haynes or Chilton manual on your Neon and read the thing front to back. Familiarize yourself with the car inside and out. Find out how it ticks - what does what.
Take something off and put it back on again. Mess around with it.
Once you figure out what everything is and what it does, then the hard stuff seems easy.

One of the easiset mods is a Mopar PCM. I don't know if the make one for the 2000 model. Get a Mopar Performance Parts catalog from your dealer. They have lots of stuff for Neons. Plus, it's factory stuff and it won't void your warranty.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-09-2001, 03:45 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by dwalls9102
[B]Go buy a Haynes or Chilton manual on your Neon and read the thing front to back. Familiarize yourself with the car inside and out. Find out how it ticks - what does what.
I guess that I could find one of those manuals at Auto Zone or Napa, right?
Old 08-09-2001, 08:56 PM
Inactive User

I'v found that one of the easiest places to find info is at your local public library. The bigger the town, the bigger selection of automotive literature.Dallas, TX, right? Must have a BIG library. If you are going towards the sleeper image, Suspension mods might be the thing for you. Shocks, struts, Braces, tires & wheels will make it handle like a slot car. If ya can't outrun them in the straights, Take em in the turns. Besides, autocrossing is a ton of fun.
Old 08-13-2001, 09:50 AM
Inactive User

You can buy the Chilton manuals at Wal Mart and the Haynes manuals at Auto Zone. I would get both - that way if one of 'em leaves something out, it might be in the other one. Each one's a little diffrent.
Old 08-15-2001, 10:27 AM

Yes,Howell Automotive has lots of Neon go fast parts. www.howellautomotive.com By the way,if you're going to start tearing things apart on the car DO Not buy a Haynes,or Chiltons manual! Both manuals are not completely step by step. Plus they only give you a vague idea of how to complete the job you're trying to do.

Your best bet if you really want to learn about Neons inside and out is to go to one of the dealerships and buy a factory repair manual. Yes I'm fully aware these manuals are very expensive however,they're also much more thorough on their information,and completely step by step. In short,regardless of the cost,they're worth it.
Old 08-16-2001, 01:07 AM
Inactive User

Default 2000 neon mods

I thought most of the things i put on my 2000 neon were easy to put on after i made all the mistakes first and it took me 3 times as much time as i thought it would(except for the exhaust). I have a borla exhaust(big difference and easy to install), borla header(little difference & sort of easy to install), iceman intake(big difference & easy to install just takes a little time), underdrive pulley(big difference & by far the most difficult one to put on, i recommend a pro mechanic), and goldline springs 1.5 in. drop(easy to install just time consuming). Go to modernperformance.com, nopionline.com, cnnpracing.com, and howellautomotive.com. Have fun. Y2kneon.
Old 08-24-2001, 03:46 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by kdalters
I'v found that one of the easiest places to find info is at your local public library. The bigger the town, the bigger selection of automotive literature.Dallas, TX, right? Must have a BIG library. If you are going towards the sleeper image, Suspension mods might be the thing for you. Shocks, struts, Braces, tires & wheels will make it handle like a slot car. If ya can't outrun them in the straights, Take em in the turns. Besides, autocrossing is a ton of fun.
What, our downtown Library is only 7 stories tall. Plus we have tons of branches. Don't know why you'd say that Dallas's Library would be large at all.

While I like the sleeper image, I also want a bigger punch to what my little girl already has. Doing 0-60 in under 8s would be nice. She does it in under 9s w/o A/C now, so that kind of a boost shouldn't take too much, right?
Old 08-24-2001, 03:49 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: 2000 neon mods

Quote:
Originally posted by y2kneon
iceman intake(big difference & easy to install just takes a little time), underdrive pulley(big difference & by far the most difficult one to put on, i recommend a pro mechanic)
So the Iceman Intake and the lighter underdrive pulleys would be well worth the cost, huh? I could probably do the intake myself now, but I seriously doubt that I could do, w/o harming Amy, the under drive pullies.

On your muffler and header, did that increase the sound of the engine a lot? I hate the sound of those Civic, Preludes, and Eclipses with the noisy exhaust...
Old 08-25-2001, 03:28 PM
Inactive User

Default muffler and header

Well, i put my exhuast on before i put on the header. The exhuast is a borla catback dual ehxuast, i know that it is the best sounding exhaust out there, i dont mean by loud, i mean that it makes a perfect low rumble like a v-8, its the patented sound of borla, there are a lot of euros out here so ive heard a lot of other types of exhaust(weapon r, matrix, apexi, pacesetter, etc..), all of these i call the "noisemakers" because if they do improve performance, the companies seem to put how loud they are first on the agenda. It did increase the loudness the of engine, but it makes it sound so much better/tougher. Dont worry about it not being a sleeper, becuase compared to all the other imports with their noise makers, youll be as silent as the red october. I have my car as a sleeper, besides it being lowered and having two exhaust ouputs, the outside of the car looks stock(stock rim/hubcaps w/ performance 195/60/14, not even low profile). What they dont know is i have an intake, header, and ud pulley. As for the header, i was barely able to tell an increase in engine noise, so i would say putting on a header would not increase engine noise. Oh and by the way, my signature says 16.6 in the 1/4, thats with only the exhaust and intake.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Inactive User

if u dont want to void the warranty buy the parts and take it to the dodge dealership it might cost u, (call and ask) trust me, my friend does it to his SRT-4