Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-08-2001, 03:42 PM
Inactive User

Question Running off front or rear carb?

I am running a dual quad (AFBs) setup on a 440. I want to have a progressive throttle linkage similar to that used on the street Hemis. But, due to the way I have my throttle cable and some other things arranged I would like to use the front carb as “primary”. I know that fuel distribution is one argument for using the rear one (since the rear primaries are close to centrally located on the intake). But will running off the front one give unusably poor distribution?. I will be running the idle circuits of both carbs. Any other arguments for using one or the other as primary
Old 08-09-2001, 01:12 AM

The front is the primary on an inline dual quad setup. The primary is located more centrally than the rear primary unless you are running some offset job. If the linkage is on the driver side (yes) the front carb primary is just off center of the intake centerline. May want to try removing weight out of secondarie carb, or blocking it open with a clip, it was recommended a LONG time ago with a dual quad setup.
Old 08-09-2001, 06:25 AM
Inactive User

You should be able to get the linkage for that setup that will open carbs in the right order, but I couldn't tell you where.
Old 08-09-2001, 07:44 PM
Inactive User

I HAD THE SAME SETUP ON MY BIG BLOCK.EDELBROCK MAKES A COOL PROGRESSIVE LINKAGE SET UP TO BE USED ON THEIR MANIFOLDS AND WITH THEIR CARBS.I HAD AN OFFENHAUSER WITH AFB'S AND IT WORKED GREAT.EDELBROCK MAKES THEIR MANIFOLDS WITH A CLOSER CARB SPACING THAN THE OFFENHAUSER BUT I LENGTHENED ONE LINKAGE ROD AND IT WORKED GREAT.DUAL QUADS ARE SET UP TO RUN OFF THE FRONT CARB.I RAN MINE IN PROGRESSION BUT IT RAN A WHOLE LOT BETTER IN 1:1. I HOPE THIS HELPS.GOOD LUCK. MARK
Old 08-12-2001, 09:13 AM
Inactive User

i run the same set up on 440 challenger with an offy manifold i got the progressive linkage at summit works for afb or edlebrock carbs and is priced reasonable.