Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-10-2001, 03:20 AM
Inactive User

Default Let's talk 4/5/6spd conversion!

Ok, i want to move up and convert to a manual to back my B-big block, and i need to know if whether or not making if it will be too far fetched. Car is a 73 Charger b-body, B motor, 727 trans, cable operated ratchet shifter, either bench/bucket seats.

I've been told that there's been a minumum to convert to at least a stock 4spd mopar tranny, and i still need more info about this. What specific parts/tunnel mods/crossmember mods/linkage mods will i need to perform?

But what about other combos and adaptions, do they exist for mopars? Like a Lakewood bellhousing and Borg-Warner 5/6 manual???

Please help as converting to a manual is something i really want to do. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2001, 09:45 AM

Richmond offers a nice 5 speed that will bolt right up. It has the correct MOPAR bolt pattern on the face and the correct location for the tranny mount. It has an 18 tooth input shaft to be used with the Hemi disc.

You will need the 4-speed pedals, the torque bar with all correct hardware, tranny (obvious), bellhousing, flywheel, disc, pressure plate, through out bearing. The correct shift tunnel would make it look nice, however, you can cut open the floor and then fabricate something out of bondo-glass and chicken wire (I've done this, turned out rather nice).
Old 08-10-2001, 09:51 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

A donor car is the min. you'll need or at least a complete set up from another B body. Pedal set up from under the dash from a B body, Z bar, and ALL linkage that works with it to the tranny, Pedal rod that runs through the floor and the metal bracket that attachs the Z bar to the frame.
There is a 5 speed conversion kit out there that can use the lakewood scatter sheild if its redrilled. Theres a company called Keisler that will sell you a kit to do the 5 speed conversion useing the Tremc 5spd. Its the Heavy duty unit Ford used in the Big block Mustang (460cid) They will also redrill your bell housing.
It's a little pricey, but it sure beats doing it yourself.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:11 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the reply guys. That Richmond 5 speed sounds pretty good. I'm not too worried about tunnel modifications, but i'm mainly concened about linkage binding. I dont want my shifter having too much play that it wont shift when i want it to...

Any more info on the Richmond, as far as what's not included in their tranny that i would need to hook up, or would i have to use original b-body clutch pedal/linkage?

Thanks.