Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-11-2001, 10:16 AM
Inactive User

Smile March Pulleys

Has anyone used March pulleys for their LA motor? I was thinking about getting a set for my '69 340, but they're a little pricey. Are they worth it?
Old 08-11-2001, 10:54 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Default Serpintine pulley system alert

Hey Dart 65;

I'm about to post a crazy rant about them. There customer service sucks!! The only people worse than March was Paxton. There a bunch of self centerd..nevermind...
March sent me the wrong pulley. After speaking with the customer service clowns, (snotty bunch of arogant smucks and they were really hard to deal with), I was given the designer/engineer of the pulleys.
This fellows name is Bill Brown. After dealing with the 3 ring clown show, I got a really good fella. (Thanks Bill ) We went trhough it all 1 step at a time. He said to send it back to him for exchange to get the right pulley.
It seems that there very own web site is incorrect. The pulley listed for the small block power steering is NOT for a small block but for a big block.
Also, I would have liked to have know that when I ordered the serpintine system, I needed THERE bracket to mount the power steering unit. At the added cost of $119.00 + , to the cost of the setup, I might have made amother choice to the type of pulley used. Like a regular "V" belt rather than the serpintine.

SO! I ordered up the mounting bracket. WOW, nice and shinny and with hex head mounting screws to match. How sweet it looks. Guess what!!

Water pump bolts to short!!

So short in fact that the bolts did not even engauge the threads in the block. FREAKIN ME OUT HERE.

Bill said he would send me longer ones. But he could only send it as fast as 2 day air. Fine I said. Yesterday was the second day.
I called the 3 ring circus, customer service to find another horse's ass acting like he had somthing else better to do.
I asked for Bill Brown whom had left early for the day. Well, I asked him to see if they had sent out the pulley. Jeez, I almost had to beg him to check.
I here a few keys taping away to the answer of , "Yes, it was sent." So where is it? It's been 2 days.
Actually , its been 6 weeks of trying to get this mess sorted out. Trying to drive a power steering car without power steering is not exactly like a manual car.
Jegs was the biggest pain in the ass in this matter. There the cause of most of my wait. (4 out of 6 weeks)
SO here I sit, waiting for the final peice for my car.
My question to the general public here is , Does UPS or FedEx deliver on a Saturday? It's still early here. I really don't wanna cut the grass when I could be installing a pulley.

The pulleys have seen a 600rpm spin without throwing a belt. I know its not a high RPM, but, thats all it's been to yet. Still have to get it to the track. Not going till I can drive the miles there with the creature comfort of power steering. To much of a pain without.
Old 08-11-2001, 01:29 PM

Sorry bud, but I don't think you'll see the pulleys unless you paid extra for saturday delivery, maybe you get'em cause of the 2 day (week?) air right! Your right about Jegs, I'm real unhappy with them. 4 weeks to get my Aeromotive fuel regulator and 5 weeks for my polished xtreme top! Summits not much better but I think I'll stay with them from now on. good luck!
Old 08-11-2001, 07:48 PM
Inactive User

Cool March Cont.

Well, that wasn't a glowing endorsement, was it? Even so, to get the performance I want, I am willing to go through some hassles. As far as Jeg's goes, I haven't ordered from them in a really long time. I can't remember what sort of experiences I had with them years ago when I was building my Charger. I have a new catalog and it has some cool stuff in it. But Summit has always treated me right. I got the last order, with regular shipping, within nine days. I have always been happy with them.
That probably has to do with the fact that I live so close to their distribution center in Nevada I believe. But I will continue to use Summit without a doubt.
Old 08-11-2001, 09:44 PM
Inactive User

im not sure on small block but on 440 i put a set of march v belts on and the bolts for lower pulley was to long and ripped a hole in timing cover so becareful.
Old 08-12-2001, 10:40 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

kingjr;

Thanks, tomorrows Monday. Bet it don't show. I 'm haveing spark problems now. I'll work on that first.
Old 08-13-2001, 01:23 AM
Inactive User

I got lucky in that a buddy of mine picked up the system and then decide to go with the Indy all aluminum big block, so I got mine at no expense. I checked fit on the pulleys to find the power steering pulley didn't fit. I called to find out if they sent the wrong one or what. They told me that I have to run a Saginaw unit from a '73 Impala to make it work. I asked for the right pulley and why I didn't have it to begin with , they said " The correct one for that pump comes in at $119.00 plus shipping and handling. The one you have is supposed to go with that system".
WHATT?? By the way, my motor is a '67 a-block with a LA timing cover and water pump, J,C, Whitney chrome alt. brackets and stock Mopar Saginaw pump. Still trying to get everything lined.
Old 08-17-2001, 05:34 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Well, the damn pulley came in on Monday...of course. Not really a surprise, but, the shaft broke on the pump. Went to Auto barn and got the guts to replace the old ones with.
Popped it in and installed the unit. A little trick, not as soild as I hoped.
Now if I only can get the car started. (See other post)
As soon as I start school, (Company schooling me on equipment )I'll have more time on my hands to futz around.
Here we go again....