Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-13-2001, 12:09 AM
Inactive User

Red face Tested edel. heads today(long)

Ok, this year with my new taller tires my best time was 12.02 with ported J heads, they were done by Canton Racing with templates and I'm sure they're not as good as some of you guys that have iron heads that flow 254 plus CFM, and I had an RPM intake that was gasket matched and ported.
I bought stage 2 ported edelbrocks from Hensley Racing, they're suppose to be worth 3 tenths over ported iron heads if you step up the compression a little. My iron heads have 64 cc chambers and the eddies have 65 so theres a slight loss of compression, then I found out my pistons come out of the hole .020 due to the block being cut on. So I had to send the heads out and have them cut on the bottom to clear the piston basically turning them into open chamber, there goes more compression and I told them I had Ross dome pistons so they cut the heads to clear, when I clay checked the dome the clay was huge all the way around the dome, like 3/8 thick at least, bye-bye more compression! And due to my block and iron heads being cut everywhere my intake did not fit my new heads at all so I bought a new Performer RPM air gap intake and a local machine shop had to cut it .100 thou. on both sides to get it to drop down and line up correctly(another $200), I did not gasket match this one, I just bolted it on. After all this I was just hoping to run as good as the iron heads!
It raind at the track so they only gave us 2 quick rounds of practice with no time to test jets and timing for the new heads. Both runs it blew oil and antifreeze out the intake gaskets so its still not sealing and it ran 12.05 on both runs, I was feeling pretty suicidal so right before they rushed us into the first round of eliminations I went up one jet size at all 4 corners(now 73-80) and bumped the total timing to 38 degrees, my 60 ft. is always 1.65-1.66, it ran a 1.61 with an 11.93! Plus with the weight loss and the new 3 step rev limiter I left the line at 3000 rpm's with my foot on the floor and pulled both front wheels 3 inches off the ground! My first wheelie ever!
So to sum all this up somebody who knows what they're doing and set up with the right compression could really benefit with these heads, I only bought them to run consistantly in the 11's instead of 12.0's so I left the track with a smile and I think it will go 11.70's with the intake sealed and the proper jetting and timing. It was also hot and humid today also, time to go rip that intake off and see where its biting the gasket or not!
Old 08-13-2001, 12:30 AM
Inactive User

Hey good to hear everything came toghter and you got into the 11's. We were going to go down but alot of things were going on today. And with the rain and everything. The car should go .70's with some tuning. Or atleast you would think. Any plans to throw some slicks and open the headers? We pick up 4 .10s by just opening the headers. We are going down friday in street trim and see what happens. We are also thinking about running at the World Nats at Norwalk. Hopefully next year we will have our new heads and everything. Starting to get a couple of bites on the convertable. Well glad to hear things worked out fine. One of the guys that was souposed to test with us had the same problem with his intake. Pulled it off and their was one little piece of it left. Everything was on right and was on for over 1000 miles and no problems. Kinda weird.
Old 08-13-2001, 06:22 AM

Nice going scamp. Its great when all the hard work pays off isn't it!
Old 08-13-2001, 09:22 AM
Inactive User

Dartman, I run open headers and D.O.T. cheater slicks. It slows 2 tenths through the exhaust.
Old 08-13-2001, 11:14 AM
Inactive User

I knew you ran the Street slicks but I thought you were not alowed to run open headers in the street trophy class. Or at least that is what they told us when we wanted to run it with the street tires and open headers.
Old 08-13-2001, 11:53 PM
Inactive User

I ran super pro that day but I always run open headers in the trophy class, d.o.t. tires is the only rule. I had to run the track champion in the first round, he beat me by .005!
Old 08-13-2001, 11:58 PM
Inactive User

Avoide bob at all cost. Best tip you can have when running super pro at 42. You gota hand it to the guy though. We does have a fast and neat chebby.