Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-13-2001, 01:00 AM
Inactive User

Default Fuel Pump Question

I'm running a mild 440 and have just experienced a fuel pump failure with a mechanical carter unit.

The 72 Roadrunner has a stock tank and 3/8" fuel line. I purchased two fuel pumps as a result of the failure...a stock mechanical unit with a 5/16" inlet/outlet and a Holley electric RED pump.

I noticed that the car would act like it was starving for fuel sometimes during heavy acceleration...so I also placed a filter before and after the carter pump so I could see what the heck was going on.

The one before the pump was full, the one after the pump would only fill about 1/2 way with the carter.

Anyway, questions are:

1) Which is preferred? Mechanical or Electric and why?

2) It says to mount the electric as close to the tank as possible and below that level. I have no room for it except by the leaf spring clamp on the passenger side...would this be acceptable if I decide to install it?

3) Do I need an oil pressure switch for the electric?

4) Is there any good way to keep the fuel line cool considering it runs down near the headers and 3" exhaust?

5) Will I need a regulator?

Thanks for any help you can give...

TB
Old 08-13-2001, 02:54 AM
Inactive User

Elec fuel pump is the way to go. When we got our hardtop the guy had both a elec and mech. in it. Mech would be good just cruising but when you got on it for over 3 or 4 secs it would fall on its face.

Put the pump like they said as close to the tank as possible. This is because it pushes better than it pulls. As far as keeping it level or below with the tank ours is right beside it. amost as level as the tank it self. And for the oil pressure switch I dont now know why you need one. If you are talking about a switch to turn the pump on and off it is up to you. You can also wire it into your ingition so it comes on with the key. If you want to keep the fuel cool buy a cool can. Other than that all you can use is bradded steel covers. And for a regulator. It depends on what your pump is pre set at. The most a Holley can take is about 7psi of line pressure. If you do a regulator you will also need a fuel pressure guage.
Old 08-13-2001, 06:14 AM

If you want to stay with a mech. pump go with a high volume unit like the Holley or Edelbrock. Install a regulator and fuel pressure guage like Dartman said. The electric (red) pump will only give you about 5 psi on the street, really not enough for racing apps. You can put some thermo sleeve, that aluminum stuff, over your fuel line wherever it comes close to the exhaust. The switch you mentioned is the safety shut off switch? Its not necessary on your ride. I would install 2 gauges myself. One in the engine compartment, and one you can see while driving. You have to monitor fuel pressure! good luck