Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-13-2001, 02:21 AM
Many Cubic Inches

Default Hesitation Probs

Hi,
I just got my Doba back on the road with a new 509 and matching springs, a new M1 intake and a 850 DP Holley. The heavy beast really takes off now but...I get a hestitation when I start to accelerate. Its not a complete bogging out but more of a fraction of a second hestitation. After that its all response, and lots of it I might add. The Holley was purchased rebuilt.
Any ideas? Thx.
Old 08-13-2001, 02:40 AM
Inactive User

Everything adjusted in the carb rite? DO you have a fuel pressure guage? If so can you see it? Sounds like if it is just for a sec. then it would be something in the carb. If it does it and dont pick back up then its your fuel pump or something else in the fuel system. I would dont recmond buying used carbs unless you know who you are getting it off of. If you do buy a used carb it is alwise a good idea to re build it. That way you know everything is new and not worn out. ANyone else on this? Sounds like to me its something in the carb if his fuel pressure is staying at what he set it at.
Old 08-13-2001, 10:08 AM
Inactive User

Sounds like you need to adjust the accelerator pump. When you first touch the throttle it likely doesn't shoot gas. There is an adjustable rod with a spring and nut on top. With the car off and air cleaner off adjust it down until it shoots gas when you just move the throttle a little.
Old 08-13-2001, 02:00 PM

Had the same problem on the track with my '72 Cuda.... Kept looking at the accelerator pump.... Finally put a jet extension kit on the secondary and it dropped my 60ft time a full tenth.... Fuel sloshes to a 45 degree angle in the back of the bowl on hard acceleration....Car no longer bobbles (New Word) off the line...
My .02 cents...
Old 08-13-2001, 02:16 PM
Inactive User

Might be the timing? I had a hesitation that turned out to be a crapped out dist'. Had it rebuild nad it fixed the problem and then some. But, I would check the carb. With all the changes you did I am sure the carb will have to be fine tuned.
Old 08-13-2001, 04:42 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

By all means put a jet extension kit on the secondary, It is the place to go if you want to go. Old problem with an easy fix.
Old 08-13-2001, 08:51 PM

Alot of good ideas here but if it were me I think I would start with base lining the carb with a rebuild. If you decide to try to cheat it out of the rebuild, I'd still check to see what vaccum your pulling and make sure the power valves are matched to the vaccum. Adjust the idle circuits, set accelerator pump spring to the proper throw,....trial run. Then start changing pump cams and record all runs with a scale of 1-10, then reinstall the best performing one. Then I would possibly look at the shooter size and jets. Like I said, I'm not a carb guru like some of these guys are but thats the direction I would go weather I rebuilt it or not.
good luck........dj