Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-02-2000, 11:24 PM
Inactive User

New Problem: I replace my plugs and wires after the chat here about what plugs live in Mopars. I switched to Autolites, and she runs cooler, and was purring quite nicely. I decided to get some new wires since the plug boots were starting to get ripped up. The new wires are the AutoZone brand wires. My new problem started about a week ago (a week after putting on the new wires) and is this: at ANY speed, my tach fluctuates a tinny bit, and the idle has dropped to 400 in gear. At this idle, with lights and heater on, I am starting to run on the battery until I get the car moving again to get RPM up. I have not changed the timing at all (10 initial for the 5000 ft alt.)

One suggestion I recieved was to stall out the t-converter and listen for a miss, but there is none. At first I thought a bad tank of gas had taken out my filter, but it still flows great.

One other bit of info...Listening to the exhaust, you could set an atomic clock by it, but the drivers side has a small cough every 2 or 3 seconds.

I can only guess that the wires are just crap. I am gonna try my old wires tonight and see what happens.

Thanks for any suggestion.

------------------
1971 Dart Swinger w/:
'68 318, 904
M-1 Dual plane, 625 Carter
Dual Exaust
3.21s in 8.25 rear
Old 11-02-2000, 11:36 PM
Inactive User

I would think your right with the wires. Before you change them.... Do your have the #5&7 wires separated,( not running together for any long length)? If not try that and see if your " cough" goes away. They may be cross firing with these wires if the silicone content or quality is not so hot. That would explain why the idle has dropped off too.
I've had my best luck with the champion brand plugs. Just my experience with them. The ultimate factor is what works for you. Hope that gets it for ya.

[This message has been edited by road chicken (edited November 02, 2000).]