Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-16-2001, 04:50 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb Need some help guys.

Hey guys and gals.

I am new to the group. I thought who else to ask this question then the gear heads here. I have a 77 New Yorker. I know what a sled, bardge, boat,etc... I am wanting to upgrade the engine to make it a bit more peppy. It does have the lean burn choked out 440 with only 66,000. Some help me please. You can mail me back or post.

Thanks
Tony
Old 08-16-2001, 05:32 PM
Heavy Member

"a bit more peppy" Huh?

Assuming it is bone stock right now, my suggestions in stages are as follows:
(Please note that these stages are based on price per performance & ease of improvement)

Stage 1 (cheap & easy)
-use open element air cleaner
-re-time engine to 10 to 12 degrees initial
-ensure you have new plugs & wires

Stage 2 (now you are spending some money but still simple)
-after market intake manifold (performer RPM if you can afford it)
-after market carb (Holley 3310 for your boat)
-electronic ignition

Stage 3 (after doing this YOU will be a gear head!)
-headers & dual exhaust
-cam change

If you are looking for even more "pep" than listed here, then buy the Mopar Performance Catalog & follow one of their performance recipes for speed. Most of all have fun.
Old 08-16-2001, 08:54 PM
Inactive User

And after all that, start shaving sheet metal off that thing!!! Remember, for every 10 lbs you save, you gain about 1 hp. Make you're own custom body out of fiberglass!
Old 08-16-2001, 09:31 PM
Inactive User

I agree with a lot of WS23s suggestions, but here's a couple of other thoughts; First, you can invert the air cleaner lid, which should be good for about 5 more HP. You might want to try this before getting the new filter just so you can see the difference the filter makes, plus it gives you a better idea of how incremental changes effect performance. I assume this car is a daily driver and has to pass smog inspections. If you're eventually going to sell this car some day, I would hold on to all of the emission equipment (carb, pump, etc.) otherwise this could make it more difficult to sell..I'm not familiar with the pollution controls on your car, whether you have EGR, etc, that might make headers problematic (if you can make them work & have the $ so much the better). If you want a compromise, go down to the salvage yard, pick up an additional catalytic consh*ter take your sled to a good muffler shop & get a true dual exhaust set-up that should still pass emissions. I would then swap intakes & get the 3310 or one of the Edlebrock/Carter speadbores. Since this is a heavy weight, low-rever that you needs lots of off the line torque, I would skip the Performer RPM (it doesn't kick in until 1500 RPM and go with the regular Performer intake (good from idle up through 5000RPM. You really can't go with much of a bigger cam than the factory "magnum" cam unless you consider swapping torque converters & making a gear change. Assuming this is a factory motor, the compression is around 8 to 1 so any kind of "big" cam will probably hurt more than help. If you leave your bottom end/compression stock, the max. cam I would go with would be the MP 484/284 cam. Make sure to get the HD valve springs. If you go with this cam or one of similar lift/duration. If you go with this type of cam, then I would get the Performer RPM intake..
Old 08-16-2001, 10:11 PM
Inactive User

and by the time you'v done all that plus all the money you spent to by the car, yuo can buy a really nice 6 cyl dart (71 thru 74)and really put together a nice machine. the car you have is loaded with alot of smog bs and sinking money in to that car would not be cost efective. trying to get any performance out of that car would not help. iv seen to many guys try to remove all that emmision stuff and add other things on and just get really disapointed. save your money, use the car for a get around wheels and purchase a car with a little more potential for future value and power good luck.
Old 08-16-2001, 11:38 PM

Truck rear end, and the gears that came with it...3.91 or bigger.
Old 08-16-2001, 11:53 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

6pak man is almost right, do the engine then swap it into a dart!!
Old 08-17-2001, 12:07 PM
Inactive User

Yeah, sixpack is correct, you can obviously get a lot more performance with the same cubes out of a smaller body. I'm not speaking for Juiced But people who drive NYrs (like my dad) usually like the comfort and room that goes along with all that weight & would turn their nose up at an A body. I think he could get some decent improvement improvement just swapping out for a real dual exhaust, an intake & carb.. with all that weight its still not going to be a barn burner out of the hole but it would be fun on the fwy!
Old 08-17-2001, 10:35 PM
Big Tuna

Biggrin Different!

Building up the NY oughta be a hoot! Who cares if it isn't a big block A-body? Sometimes it's good to be different. (I have a big block A-body too)