Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-01-2000, 06:32 AM
Inactive User

Question

I also wanted to know how the '73 power steering compared to manual steering for road feel. I read that most people didn't order power steering on their muscle cars for lack of road feel. By the way, I am impressed with the knowledge of this group and how well you respond to any questions, it helps a lot!
Old 11-01-2000, 03:52 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

duster340man;

Glad you like it here. So do I. Iv'e learned a lot just by reading in this place. There are some really knowledgeable peaple hear. Even when someone dosn't know, they try to help anyway they can. After all, we are all here to help one another to kick the other guts a@# at the track or help make our cars look good.
I had a Duster with a manual box. I liked it better than the power box in my other Duster and Cuda.
The powe box dos have less fell as far as Im concered.
Old 11-03-2000, 08:56 AM
Inactive User

This was a question I thoght alot about for my Challenger! Since I had a big block, I finally went with a Firm Feel one step beyond Police power unit available from Dick Ross at www.firmfeel.com. Chryslers power steering was notoriously "effortless"to steer and lacked "road feel" as you mentioned. However, for an 'A' Body(Duster, etc.) w/small-block I would go with Firm Feel's 16 to 1 ratio manual steering box. It's ALOT lighter, too! I think the standard manual box back then was 26 to 1-which made handling rather "ponderous" to say the least! Turns of the steering wheel were about 5 1/2 lock to lock!! Power, on the other hand, was good at 3 1/2 turns. The manual 16 to 1 will give you the "responsiveness" of the power with the "road feel" of manual! As always, you have to think seriously and honestly about your needs and intentions for the car. Good Luck!

------------------

Old 11-03-2000, 02:40 PM
Inactive User

Depends on what your willing to live with and where you do most of your driving. Living with a manual box in the city will get you ape arms in no time. I opted for the Firm Feel box in the rr and it is pretty good.
Old 11-03-2000, 03:55 PM
Inactive User

Weight is another consideration. If you are a serious drag racer you will want to run the manual box. The manual box elimates about 75 lbs from the front end of the car making the weight transfer better.

I have manual in my '70 Dart 360 and it is fine once the car is rolling. If you are trying to turn the wheels at a dead stop you look like a monkey.
Old 11-06-2000, 04:35 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy

Years ago when I was much younger I totalled my 71 340 duster on a winding tree lined road because of a very slow ratioed manual steering box.Couldnt steer it fast enough to recover from a unintential power slide.Id never install anything but a quicker ratio box than that stock manual junkthey came up with.
Old 11-06-2000, 12:56 PM
Inactive User

I've power steering, and I hate it. I have tamed it a bit though, by putting a steering damper on it( it's really just a shock absorber built to use sideways). I will also add a pressure control valve soon, which I found in one of the hot rod mags. Power steering is very helpful in a daily driver when you park in NYC like I do.....
Old 11-06-2000, 07:38 PM
Inactive User

I run a 20 to 1 manual in the twin turbo Challenger and would never go back to the power unit.
Old 11-07-2000, 05:20 AM
Inactive User

A simple trick I just invented for better road feel,put a smaller diameter ps pump pulley on,it increases pressure and creates better feedback,it works well on my 78 3/4t 4x4....PRO...