Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-17-2001, 04:09 PM
Inactive User

Default Help, help...

Im gettin ready to change the torsion bars on my duster, and of course i have no idea what im doing when it comes to suspension. any tips for torsion bars???/ Please help!!!

Monk
Old 08-17-2001, 04:19 PM
Inactive User

I've actually done this a few times. Lift the car up where you can remove both front wheels. Use a 3/4" socket to back off the ride height bolts all the way. This will take the load off of the torsion bars. Go then to the rear of the bar and remove the retainer clip, usually done easily with a pair of pliers. You can at that point take a pair of Vice Grips and clamp tight onto the bar itself towards the front where you have a little more room to work. Use a good heavy hammer to hit the vice grips and bring the bars backward. the torsion bars will slip out the back of the subframe. Replace the boots as necessary and place in the new bars the same way. You may have to use the ride height bolts to adjust the turn on the lower control arm to line up the new ones before you persuade them to bottom in. Put a little fresh grease inside the new boots before you seal them and finish with fresh retainer clips in the rear. Put the wheels back on and lower vehicle to the ground. Bring the ride height back up close to where you want using a measuring tape on each side. You can have an alignment shop finish all adjustments. ENJOY!
Old 08-17-2001, 07:23 PM
Inactive User

Default uhhhh

Hey Ausydad Im havin some troubles...think I got the ride height bolts loosened as far as it goes, took the retainer pin off, and now im trying to slide the bars out..they are *NOT**MOVING** grr....Tried the vice grips and a hammer thing...Im stuck???? What ya think???

Thanks

Monk
Old 08-17-2001, 08:29 PM
Inactive User

Had a few of get a little stubborn. Just gotta make sure the vice grips are on there tight enough not to slip and hammer away. They always get rusted and heatsunk into the lower control arms. Sometimes persuasion has to be a little less gentle. So long as your retainer clips are out of the back, there's nothing but age holdin' them in. Don't give up.
Old 08-18-2001, 12:53 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin quick and easy fix

Had the same exact problem while swapping my 'bars. Remove the upper control arm rebound bumpers - one per side. This will allow max. susp. travel. If the bars still don't wanna give up, loosen your lower control arm stud nuts (one per side - passing through K-member) and give a GENTLE whack directly on the stud with a hammer. This was what I had to do after going through the same thing you've had to do, and it worked beautifully.

NOTE: when you're finished with installing your new bars:
1. Lightly SNUG up the control arm stud nuts
2. Adjust car ride height
3. Torque lower control arm stud nuts to 130 ft. lbs.

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2001, 03:04 AM
Inactive User

Never, Never, ever use vice grips on a torsion bar, a serious defect could occur causing Torsion bar failure at the wrong time. Contact Blaine's Machine Works (805) 583-1559 shop or (805) 526-0148 for the proper torsion bar removal tool, bought mine several years ago and it still provides satisfactory results (no damage to bar). If you are changing bars this is the perfect time to change the bushings in the lower control arm with OEM materials. Stat away from the graphite,poly,etc crap the stuff spins and with the goop you need to get it in so proper torque is never acheived.