Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-29-2000, 05:32 PM
Inactive User

Arrow

Ok this time I will try to give you as much info on the engine I can
I bought the engine from a friend 4 years ago.He bought a Cuda that the engine was in it had been overhauled.
He took the 318 out and put a 340 in the cuda,all he could tell me was that when driving it home ,theres a cam it it.
The engine was sitting on a stand since 1983,had been oiled and turned over at intervals.rockers had been loosened to relive spring tension.
I romoved pan and inspecet every thing bore measures 4 1/8 in.cant find a number on cam.It has tripple valve springs.We have been winding it up to 6700 rpm,think past the tourque peak tho.
placed a fluid dampner on it,double roller timing chain, Headers,MSD ignition with Billet dist set to be full advance at 1800 rpm
Timing is at 32 degrees full advance
intake is elbrock dual plane carb eldbrock 750jetted out.Mopar viscous fan.
Trans is a 904 with reverse manual valve body. carter hv fuel pump oil pump the same runs 60 lbs oil pressure
compression chech when placed in car 180 LBS all cylinders.Rear end 8 1/4 410 suregrip with snubber.
Tires are 10 in wide by 28 tall. Drive shaft heavy duty custom bldt.
Hope I didnt forget anything
Oh, from what I could saee pistons have short skirts on them.
I must tell you I am 65 years old a gear head from the early 50s
Close your eyes"my first car was a 34 Ford 5 window coupe I bought for $35
Thanks
Bill Rushbrook

Old 10-29-2000, 10:51 PM
Inactive User

That's No 318. the max bore on a 318 is 3.97in. Check on the driver's side of the block right below the head to find out what engine size it is. I'd bet its a 340 or 360 or a BB.
Old 10-30-2000, 06:56 AM
Inactive User

Is there an "X" cast on the right front of the block? Or an "M"?
Old 10-31-2000, 12:25 AM

I'm not a guru like alot of these guys but 4.125 dia is no normal SB that I know of unless its possibly a race block from mopar or some seriously customized monster. I also think the 3rd spring you're refering to is a dampener. Definantly get the numbers off the block and the casting numbers off the heads (they will be cast in the rocker side somewhere)....me thinks you are going to be unbelieveably sad or happy with this one and I hope it works to your favor...good luck and keep us posted.....dj

------------------
Old 11-06-2000, 10:41 AM
chuy

I, too, am no expert, but I do have the Mopar Engine book. The closest stock engine to 4.125 is the 361 big block at 4.12. Next is the 413 big block at 4.18.

The 361-383-400 big blocks are identified by the engine size stamped on the right front of the block deck next to the distributor. The 413-426-400 big blocks had the engine size stamped on a pad at the left front of the engine next to the front tappet rail.
Old 11-07-2000, 12:44 AM
Inactive User

THIS may sound dumb but is the distributer in the front or in the back of the engine .Big blocks are in the front small blocks are in the back.
Old 11-07-2000, 02:58 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

You know, thats one question that han't been asked. Hes been beating the bush's about this since Oct.29..
Its to big of a bore for a stock small block!
Old 11-07-2000, 04:16 AM
Inactive User

it cant be a big block,with a 904 trans.
Old 11-07-2000, 03:31 PM
Inactive User

Im sorry I meant to post it here
It is stamped 318 on the side of the block
I dont really need any more info on this
The 318 is coming out of the Duster.I have a 64 426 wedge that im going to put in it this winter.
I have the new K member for it and 727 trans thats been built for it.I just have to get a rear end now as the Duster has an 825 rear enf in it now and that wont hold up with the 426.
Im looking for an 875 for it or maby a ford 9".
Anyway we are having fun doing this"my son and I"
Thank you for all your help guys I really apreciate your taking your time to help this old fart out
Bill Rushbrook
PS
Lebanon Vally dirt track was just starting out racing stock cars when I was getting into cars . Now I see they have a drag strip. we are talking back in the early 50s when it started out
Old 11-07-2000, 03:34 PM
Inactive User

The distributors in the rear
Old 11-07-2000, 04:45 PM
Inactive User

good luck on your project it sounds like its going to be vary fun to build ,i've allways liked the 426wedge they run good numbers.I was wondering if you measured the stroke on the 318 and did you see any cast numbers on the heads ?that motor mite be worth a lot of money if it's what i think it is it could pay for the wedge and a few other goodies.
Old 11-08-2000, 03:25 AM
Inactive User

I will check the cast number on the heads
No I never measured the stroke
Old 11-08-2000, 02:07 PM

I agree witht these guys, you may have some good $$$$ commin your way. Make sure you dont "just get rid of it as a 318" untill all the questions are answered on this one. Besides the raised casting numbers on this block which will also tell the year and month, there are other numbers that were stamped in from the factory in different location that will also tell alot more about its origin. You may want to add to this post or put out another one giving out the actual casting numbers of the block and request were to find the other numbers as well. These guys are the best and have all this info which will help you alot. you are now on a MISSION...Just out of curiosity, what yr is the block?.....DJ

------------------