Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-19-2001, 06:18 PM
Inactive User

Question Late model LA 318 5.2L Help

I have a 1987 Fifth Avenue, it looks like it drove off the lot and runs nicely (WIth the exception of the Idle which I cannot seem to get just right). After a new ignition coil and plugs it seems to have a little more pep. I was wondering if anyone had some performance suggestions. At 5000 pounds this mother isn't going to fly and i don't expect it to be able to spin tires in 4th, heck even in 1st, the occasional tire chirp would be appreciated.
People have suggested the following

Dual exhaust or A single high output exhaust
4bbl 600 cfm carb
New Intake manifold
K&N Filter
Performance distributor & Wires

I don't mind most of this work but i would prefere to keep the stock manifold OR carb for costs reasons, I'm still in school I can't afford all of this at once.

Thanks

JEff
Old 08-20-2001, 09:33 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

I dont think that thing is that heavy. Is that gross vehical weght you looking at?

Other thing that you can do that I did.

A factory 360 4bbl intake (I still have it if you want it.) and a Carter 625 cfm work real well.
A MSD unit, 6-A box
If you have to keep it street legal, a pair of hi flow cats just after the "H" pipe into a set of GOOD mufflers. Tube size @ 2 1/4.
I also used a stock '73 340 air cleaner. It has a trap door in the back of the base that opens up when theres a lack of vacum. (Read; When gettin on it!)
If a cam change isn't out of the question, a small up grade like the MoPar p4452759 @ 260 intake and 268 exhaust is a great upgrade overstock.
A Viscous fan is cheap too.
(TRICK) Buy your parts and put them aside till you get the system together. IE; Air cleaner, carb, intake and cam if desired. Install all at once. Bamn! A noticeable upgrade!
Then your exhaust. Purchase cats (if needed) mufflers and take it to a shop for a mandrel bending. Bamn! It wakes up again!