Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-20-2001, 10:43 PM
Inactive User

Default 2001 Durango R/T Mods

I just recently bought a 2001 Durango R/T and would like to make a few mods to make driving a little more fun. I'm looking to spend 2-3K (installed) on various toys. I've been checking out the Kenne Bell D-2 Power kit (headers, exhaust, ram air intake, optimizer computer, thermostat and underdrive pullies), but I haven't seen anyone out there with any Kenne Bell products in their trucks. Is there any reason for this? Kenne Bell claims that I should "supposedly" get 89 extra horses (not to mention an extra 2-3 miles per gallon) out of this setup. If you don't like Kenns Bell, does anyone have any other alternatives that I should try? Thanks.
Old 08-21-2001, 11:11 PM
Inactive User

Wink

Congratulations on new R/T. I am also owner of new 01 (Garnet).

Hope you get more responses than I did when I asked same question about performance mods.

I have KB supercharger on a 98 DAK. 5.2 and am reasonable satisfied with the unit. There seems to be kind of a love/hate thing out there about KB. Some love them and some hate them.
Can't really speak to the package you mentioned. I do hear that their headers are some of the best out there. Didn't think they sold "optimizer" except as part of SC.

After reading a lot of posts on this page and other Mopar sites this is the list that seems to make a lot of sense:

Intense Performance Stage III air intake
Fastman 50 or 52 mm. throttle body
M1 intake manifold
MP heads w/ 2.02 intake valves
Hughes 1.6 roller rockers
Comp. Cams cam
JBA or Kenne Bell headers
MSD 6T ignition
3" exhaust
MP PCM or equivalent

Let us know if you get any response on KB package.
Old 08-21-2001, 11:26 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

NightBandit i run a paxton s/c on my ram and i love it.
thanks cmyindy
heres a pic. of my motor.
Old 08-22-2001, 09:26 AM

Default Kenne-bell

I don't think they are bad. They seem to have a customer service problems from what I have heard.

I know of one person that has the cold air intake and he likes it. I didn't chose it because of the "accordian style tube" like the stock unit has. I fell it would add turblance to the air..... but the Throttle body hat I do like. The headers are getting some pretty good marks from a few people. Those I will get when I get the $$. The optimiser is sold seperate. I only heard that some are ok some are dud,s. Mopar computer and MSD igintions have a good track record. The thermostat and underdrive pullies are just resold by them I think. They are probably Robert Shaw and March Underdrive pullies.

I wouldn't heasitate to purchase there products if you like them the only thing I am leary of is the computer. I would think if it had bugs they would be working on it otherwise they wouldn't still be in business.

There products go for a pretty good price other are good alternative.

Other intakes-- K&N Gen II, Intense Performance.
Exhaust-- gibsons cat back, borla (quietest), Flowmaster, spintech, just to name a few.
If you do the full exhaust you might want to do a high flow cat from Random Technologies also.
Mopar performance computer
MSD ignitions.

Also a Throttle body might be in order for you.

Try links www.krcperformace.com and www.worldwideperformance.com and www.intenseperformance.com
The first two have quite a few links to the other stuff I mentioned.

Good luck
Todd
Old 08-22-2001, 09:42 AM
Inactive User

I don't know about the extra 89 ponies, seems fairly high to me with just those mods.

I would look to Mopar for the computer optimizer as people have seen problems with JET chips after a few hundred miles (the computer re-learns).

If you get under-drive pullies for your truck, you will need to replace your harmonic dampener, as the crank pullie is welded on 2001s.

You would probably be better off with a complete exhaust system from someone like Clear Image, a new intake from K&N or Airaid, and a new throttle body (F&P or Holley). That would cost about $2,500 and easily give you an extra 40 horses. Better mileage too!
Old 08-22-2001, 08:18 PM
Regular Guy

I agree wtih 2001 R/T but the cost would only be about 1200 not 2500. (5-600 for the headers, 250 for the GenII FIPK, 350 for the TB)

My dealer has a nice brand new Patriot (I think) Blue R/T, I might go test drive for the heck of it.
Old 08-23-2001, 09:18 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Sorry, I meant a complete exhaust package from Clear Image ($1,600). It includes the headers, Y-Pipe, Free-flow cat and Spintech muffler. Pretty good deal.