Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-21-2001, 07:41 AM
Inactive User

Angry breaking up

I need help! I run a 360ci, 10-1, with kb flat tops, floater rods, 505/525 solid cam, 550 lift valve springs, 2bl 4412, crome box, champion race plugs, 112 octane fuel, alum. torker intake, good wires, distributor, etc. We run a 4/10 mile 18 degree bank corners asphalt track, and when I come out of the corner my motor misses all the way down the straights till just about the end and clears up. (This is depressing) I have changed or tryed about everything I can think of, this is where you can help. I am leaning toward retarding my cam back to straight up it is 4 degrees advanced now, some say that I have a exhaust valves not closing all the way and this is causing it. I dont know.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:30 AM
Inactive User

Don't touch the engine, that's not where your problem is. If you come out of the turn and it misses all the way down the straight and clears up just before the end then you have a fuel delivery problem. Don't know where it is.

I assume you use a Holley 2 barrel. Start by checking the float level on the carb. Should be set fairly high.

Check your tank to make sure the pickup is not being uncovered by fuel slosh in the turn.

Finally, check your pump, it may be weak.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:57 AM
Inactive User

Thank you for your advice let me tell you what I have done. I installed a new stock type fuel pump last week it didnt help, I have a 22gl fuel cell with foam and I run with it full to start. My float is set high, meaning that when it is idiling the sight glass is 1/2 full. What about water the car sat for 2 years then I put it back together I have run about 60gallons of fuel through it. My buddy runs a high volume and high pressure pump, but I have had good luck with stock pumps with 4 barrels before and not had this problem.
Old 08-21-2001, 01:23 PM
Inactive User

Sounds like you have the bases covered. But it still sounds like a fuel problem. Have you thought about installing a fuel pressure gauge? You should be carrying 6-8lbs. minimum at all times.

OR? Could it be you are flooding the engine with raw gas in the turn and it takes most of the straight to clean out?
Old 08-21-2001, 02:18 PM

Lightbulb

Also check your fuel filter.......Had the same problem for about 3 weeks and turned out to be wrong fuel filter. Fuel filter was one set up for fuel injection...required fuel to be pushed through the filter rather than pulled through it, i.e. electric pump vs. mechanical. Changed the filter and problem went away.
Also make sure your foam is not breaking down causing the filter to clog.....
Old 08-22-2001, 01:11 AM

Default Too Much Fuel

It sounds to me that you have too much fuel as Sanborn has deduced. I would first try setting the float leve so that fuel just comes up on the sight glass when the car is rocked. This should help keep it from flooding in the corners. Also, check to make sure that the float is good, the needle and seat are clean and that the power valve is functioning.
Old 08-22-2001, 08:17 AM
Inactive User

What about when I am running it in the garage it seems to be ok unless you run it up to about 3500 rpm and hold it there then you can hear a miss, just a small blubber but it gets worse under a load. Could it still be a high float level? I have the float a little higher than normal thought I was running out of fuel. Also if you rap it up quick it seems fine. Also if you feather it out of the corner and keep it about half throttle it seems to not miss as bad.
Old 08-22-2001, 01:43 PM
Inactive User

Just a thought here. Check your vent tube from fuel cell. It seems that this tube is a favorite spot for dirt dobbers to build. I had this problem several years ago and now use a small loose weave cotton cloth around end of tubing held in place with a hose clamp. Secondly you didn't state what carburetor your using, some have used side hung float carbs and caused same problem, really need a center hung float. Lastely check coil wires and distributor connections, sometimes they get loose and only seem to give trouble in the turns. Good luck and keep the MOPARS out front.
Old 08-22-2001, 01:44 PM

I have a return line from my fuel log with a ball valve on it. I can increase the pressure from the cockpit. As the pressure is increased, the car will begin to miss coming out of the corner. Kind of a poor mans traction control. If I keep increasing the pressure, it takes increasingly longer down the straight to clean out. I have done this with the float level also. It does the same thing, but can't be adjusted from inside the cockpit.
Old 08-22-2001, 05:21 PM
Inactive User

Moparvann, I am sure you know where I run it is South Alabama Speedway, in Opp, Alabama. We have 2 Mopars a Dart my buddy runs which is constant top 3 and my Charger which has constantly been breaking up. This is a super stock class which is basicly a limited late model with a steel body and he does very well. I will go home and try all of thease suggestions, I am frustrated because I know I have more car than I have shown. I will surprise them when I get it right.

I still have a mopar freind that believes the cam is to far advanced is this remotely possible.
Old 08-23-2001, 03:59 PM
Inactive User

4 degrees won't make it break up. Just moved the power band down the rpm band a little. I ran a cam 11 degrees retarded with no probs and it made way more power than 5 advanced and turned about 1000 rpm more. My guess is the carb is the prob since you can make it miss in neutral. I would go over everything from ignition to fuel. Maybe a bad plug? or wire? Do a comp check maybe a bad valve.
Old 08-23-2001, 06:54 PM
Inactive User

I am having the same problems. What about the Ignition switch. I have a mopar blaster coil and does that have to be mounted upright or can I lay it on its side. I too know my motor will power around the chevy guys but it just flutters at high rpm. I even put the cam straight up instead of it being advanced and that didnt help. Iam on my third carb and it will do it still. The fuel is at 7psi and the tank is full. I feel your pain. My buddies 360 is same as mine and yours and his does the same thing as your and mine.
Old 08-23-2001, 08:44 PM
Inactive User

just a rookie ,but my fury did almost the same thing, my pick up hose in the fuel cell laid on top of one of the sticks,(sponge).
Old 08-25-2001, 05:01 PM
Inactive User

I jetted down to 64 and put a new coil on and it runs good now.
Old 08-28-2001, 01:39 PM
Inactive User

Default possibe help

We fought a miss after changing to methonol from gas that drove us crazy, it would run good at part throttle then fall on its face at full throttle, well natraly we thought "carb" well after changing many times we found out that we had a grounding problem. The ground cable for the battery was caroded where it connected to the frame. One other time we had a problem with the spark box was not grounded.
Mabe that isnt your bproblem but it wouldn't hurt to make sure.