Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-21-2001, 05:06 PM
Inactive User

Default 360 Engine block bottom end stuff

Ok so here it is. Bought an 81 mirada the other week and took it to a freinds shop for work and an inspection. well turns out that one of main bearings has too much play in it.

The car apparently has a 1972 rebuilt 360. That was rebuilt about 10 K miles ago. So what to do.

I was thinking I could get it rebuilt.

I could get a new bottom end. then place my top end on it.
(heads need to be replaned?)

Or I could say screw it and buy a block that has a solid bottom end and an ok top end that I could slowwly build up (3/4 cam already installed).

With the last option how much would a long block(heads and block) with a solid bottom end(all forged) run me. I can do most of the work my self beside the machining.
Old 08-21-2001, 06:35 PM
Inactive User

What do you mean by to much clearence. Is crank right size wise? Did bearing spin? Do you think main bearing bore is to big? Were is extra clearence coming from? If crank is slightly under but good, you can get .001 oversize bearings.
Old 08-21-2001, 06:48 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: 360 Engine block bottom end stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirada
Ok so here it is. Bought an 81 mirada the other week and took it to a freinds shop for work and an inspection. well turns out that one of main bearings has too much play in it.

The car apparently has a 1972 rebuilt 360. That was rebuilt about 10 K miles ago. So what to do.

I was thinking I could get it rebuilt.

I could get a new bottom end. then place my top end on it.
(heads need to be replaned?)

Or I could say screw it and buy a block that has a solid bottom end and an ok top end that I could slowwly build up (3/4 cam already installed).

With the last option how much would a long block(heads and block) with a solid bottom end(all forged) run me. I can do most of the work my self beside the machining.
all forged? ha! good luck. all 360s come with cast cranks and i havent ever saw a forged 360 crank allthough there are aftermarket ones out there. a cast crank will suffice allthough if i were you id get either a 3.75" (383 cubic inch) or a 4" (408 cubic inch) stroker crank. the 3.75 is $150 (i think) and the 4" is $300.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:14 PM

What are the specs on that 3/4 Cam??????
Old 08-22-2001, 08:57 AM

That sounds like a shittvie term. If I'm not mistaken it refers to the degree of the cam, so a 3/4 cam would be a 270 degree.
Old 08-22-2001, 10:20 AM
Inactive User

Default Ok more info.

"3/4 cam is usually just a saying for something hotter then stock but not so outrageous it barely ideals and you can't drive it on the street. It does refer to specific duration but since that changes depending on motor most guys just say a 3/4 cam. "

(This is all done by the sound method)
Ok so the motor has crankshaft end play. 1/8th inch.
So I am thinking that it was used with a 3000 stall converter as a launch machine.

How streetable is a 383(stroker)? 408?

The car will be used for weekends and the occasional trip to the shore(90miles). So I can't make it so outrageous that it barely runs.

Ok ideally I want the car in the 12's but still completely streetable. I don't think its too high of goal.

well I bought the car to play with so we will see what happens.

Thanks for your help and links to were I can buy short blocks that I could bolt in would help.
Old 08-22-2001, 01:02 PM
Inactive User

strokers are just as or more streetable than a normal 360. you can use a larger cam and get away with it since you have more cubes. that goes the same for all the other engine mods. plus there will be a increase in bottom end torque.