Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-22-2001, 03:46 PM
Inactive User

Default please help

I just recently put a new 2 barrell carb. on my 71 charger 318. It runs great, but I seemed to have lost vacume. Meaning that my heat is no longer working and my brakes are not as sensistive the very 1st second I hit them. None of this was happening prior to the carb change. PLEASE HELP
Old 08-22-2001, 05:12 PM
Inactive User

Are you saying you changed your carb and the HEATER is not working, or the choke stove isn't working? Also, if your vacuum is gone, you must have a bad install. Did you buy a rebuilt carb from a cheap parts house? If you did, you need to make a thorough comparison between the base plate of the new carb and the one you took off, if you haven't taken the core back yet. Frequently, you'll get a slightly different carb when you buy that way and don't rebuild your own. One other thing, did you tighten all the screws on the new carb before you swapped in on? - you shoulld always do that. And something else...check to be sure you got the right baseplate gasket, and that you installed it right. Anyway you look at it, the carb needs to come back off. Sorry, and goodluck - let me know if I've helped....Doug
Old 08-22-2001, 06:05 PM
Inactive User

I would probably agree with Mike. Sounds like a problem with the seat at the base gasket. Wrong gasket, bad seal, whatever. Carb will come back off to fix although you can do the spray trick to see before you do. Good luck!
Mopar to ya!
Coffee up, HAMMER DOWN!
Old 08-23-2001, 03:36 PM
Inactive User

Maybe its a vacuum leak. The brake booster should be off the manifold so the carb itself has no effect to that unless it has a vacuum leak. The heat control may go off the carb. I would make sure there are no vacuum leaks first, then make sure the port the heat control plugs into has vacuum.