Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-22-2001, 06:34 PM
Inactive User

Question How to Identify my Camm?

When i bought my 73 Dodge Charger SE 6 mos ago... the guy i bought it from "Carlos" told me he put in a Chrystler 400 Big block and it was cammed... well listening to it .. yes definatly a beefy camm... but.... is thier any way to tell with out breakin the block open?

just curious...
im running a Holly 750 Double pumper.. and my car "loads up" when im street driving.. on the strip wide open she growls like a champ.. but on the street its another story.. so im thinking of comin down in Carb... but to what? I was told to match the Carb to the camm.. so ... back to my origional question.. how to ID my camm.. ?

suggestions. ?
Old 08-22-2001, 07:00 PM
Inactive User

At a minimum, you will have to pull off the valve covers. This is very rough estimate, but you will need a dial indicator that you can mount to read the push rod side of the rocker and a fully degreed dampener (you can put a timing tape on it). Rotate engine by hand and by noting dial indicator readings and degrees on the dampener, you can determine the cam specs. Like I said, this is very rough. You would have to do this on the exhaust side too. One cylinder should be enough.

On the other hand, it might almost be easier and definitely more accurate to look at the grind number on the cam. Usually cam manufacturers will place a grind number on the front of the cam. If you pull the fan, water pump, timing cover, and timing set you would see this number.

Can you ask Carlos?
Old 08-22-2001, 07:24 PM
Inactive User

Carlos unfortunatly moved to Mexico with his family.. thus the reason he sold me his charger... so askin him is out..

thanks for the info on the camm thou.. ill pull the fan and waterpump and timing cover see what i can find.

thx. i appreciate it.
Old 08-22-2001, 07:57 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

You should use a soild liffter to do this with a HYD. cam. Reason is a Hyd. cam needs to be pumped up to get full lift and duration. It will also give variable readings when your checking.
LOL A buddy tryed to degree in his cam (Hyd) with a (HYD) tappet and kept getting a different reading. Drove him crazy. After the soild tappet trick, it was easy to set up. A correct length pushrod will be needed.