Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-23-2001, 04:26 PM
Inactive User

Default K&N Filter, really worth it?

I've read mixed reviews with K&N Filters, some have said they are just air filters, others have told me that after oil it's the 2nd best thing in the engine. There are times i can feel the engine sucking for air on new filters.

Long story short, for 40 bucks is it a good investment with regards to HP, Fuel economy, cost to replace etc.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 08-23-2001, 04:37 PM
Inactive User

Default for 40 bucks yes

yes. its forty bucks and if you are going to do it do it right.
Old 08-23-2001, 05:13 PM
Inactive User

Default K&N makes a difference

I have a 3.5" air cleaner sitting on top of my carb and it really looks cool when you look down in the SixPac scoop an seen that tall air cleaner. A visual impact? Yes, it does look good but in ever test, K&N vs an regular paper (throwaway) filter, the K&N will out breath the plain filter 3-1. PLUS a K&N filter is for life. Just hose it off and spray some filter element oil on it and you are good to go again!
Old 08-23-2001, 05:41 PM
Heavy Member

I use a K&N on all my Mopars. My opinion is that they are only marginally better than a standard filter in a "properly set up car" running in the 1/4 mile. That statement may sound like I'm down on them, but remember I run them on multiple Mopars.

We found, real world at the track, on alternating runs that the difference between the standard filter & the K&N amounted to only hundreds of a second, at best. So that is why I use a K&N. But don't get fooled into thinking that a K&N will give you lofty claims of massive air flow improvement resulting in significant horse power gains! Sorry, it ain't gonna happen!
Old 08-23-2001, 11:13 PM

Me, my wife, and my stepson all race 1/8 drags and we have all added the K&N filter with the Xtreme filter top this year. Mostly because our strip is right beside a very nasty, dusty, dirty, 3/8 mile banked oval dirt track. When they race on the same night we do, the track crew end up sweeping the track 3 to 4 times a night. So we went with the K & N's so we wouldn't have to suck dirt. Plus the Xtreme top fits right up inside the hoodscoop on my 73 Dart Sport.
Old 08-24-2001, 08:16 AM
Inactive User

Default Mostly Street Apps

This car is my day to day driver, probably on the road 350+ days a year (without a hiccup i might add). I doubt it will ever do a 1/8th or 1/4 mile race. I was more curious as to day to day driving. My only complaint with the car in the 5 years i've been running it is that it seems to be really struggling for air in particularly congested traffic.

Thanks

Jeff