Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-25-2001, 11:26 PM
Inactive User

Default torque strap installation

Who out there has put in a homemade torque strap (the one made from a turnbuckle), and put it in a B-body (or E-body, I guess) with power steering? I bought the stuff to make it, but I only had a second to look under the car to see where to mount it. Is this a major PITA? Is there a good spot to connect it at that anybody knows of? Also, exactly how strong do these things have to be; the turnbuckle I bought is rated at only 350 pounds, maybe I should get a stainless steel one or something.
Old 08-26-2001, 08:23 AM
Inactive User

I used to run one on my Road Runner.I didn't have P/s,but what I did was use a turnbuckle with two "eyes" and attached it from the water pump ear down to the lower battery tray mounting bolt hole.Mine was aluminum,and worked well.I would suggest a steel 'buckle as after a few years the aluminum work hardened and it finally broke.
Old 08-26-2001, 08:56 AM
Inactive User

NEVER DID LIKE THE TURNBUCKLE TYPE UNLESS FOR FULL RACE.
THEN SOLID MOTOR MOUNTS WILL O THE TRICK.
TAKE A PIECE OF CHAIN, MOUNT IF FROM THE LOWER MOTOR MOUNT BOLT ENG SIDE TO THE BASE OF THE MOUNT CRADLE ON THE K-MEMBER. LEAVE ENOUGH SLACK FOR THE ENG TO MOVE AS NORMAL, BUT JUST ENOUGH TO TIGHTENUP WHEN ACCELERATED.
THIS WORKS VERY WELL FOR THE STREET MACHINE & TAKING YOUR TIME INSTALLING WILL HIDE IT OUT OF THE WAY & NOT OBSTRUCT ANYTHING FROM WORKING AS IS. YOU NEED A LITTLE FLEX IF YOUR GOING TO DRIVE ON THE STREET. THIS WILL GIVE YOU JUST ENOUGH FOR A GOOD DRIVE, BUT STIFFEN UP FOR A RUN.
GOOD LUCK.
Old 08-26-2001, 02:13 PM

The turnbuckles are nice and definetly work, but like 340MAN, I prefer a chain on the lower horsepower or heavier weight cars. I do know this, if your big block in your B, C or D body is the least bit healthy, first couple of times you launch it hard and it plants the tires, it will break the mount. May take longer on a new mount, but it will still break, believe me, I know. Install using a good quality chain, bolts and washers, and leave enough slack for the motor to work. Just don't use an excessive amount of chain and don't leave enough slack where the chain can get into the pulleys or driving linkage, or you will have a very bad day. Yes, it's low tech, but very effective, and even on the hoop style mounts, the mounts will last longer from less flexing.
Old 08-26-2001, 02:20 PM

Ditch the turnbuckle. Use a chain or straight cable. Connect from where the motor ount bolts to the K-member to where the mount bracket bolts to the engine.

If you use the straight cable, you can use eyelets, to run the existing bolts through.
Old 08-27-2001, 03:32 AM
Inactive User

Question Year One torque strap kit?

I have a 66' Coronet (3800 lbs) w/ a mildly built 360 in it. I bought the torque strap kit so my new $112.00 motor mounts wouldnt have to take a beating. I havent installed it yet and after reading these posts im not so sure I want to now!

Should I NOT use this type of a solid stap?

I have the 727 auto trans, 9.5-1 comp. w/flathead pistons, mild Edel. cam, mild heads w/headers, Edel.performer intake and posi rear.

I will eventually lighten the car but not right away. Planning on complete overhaul on tranny and adding the transgo kit. Think I will start a new for help on that one though.
Thanks for any input on this!
Old 08-27-2001, 08:50 AM
Inactive User

What about the Schumacher Industries "magnum mount"? Anybody tries these?
Old 08-27-2001, 10:34 AM
Inactive User

Question I'm in the same boat

I have '99 Durango and I'm upgrading the 360 Magnum to a 408 which will also have an ATI ProCharger after break-in (engine will be installed in the next week or so). I figure I'll need a torque strap of some sort. It sounds like some 1" to 1.5" ss chain with ss brackets and bolts is all I need, but finding an ear or bolt hole that lines up on the frame and engine is difficult. Can the strap be put in on an angle? Also, my gut feel is to not use a head bolt is this correct?

Thanks,
John