Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-26-2001, 08:15 AM
Inactive User

Default Removing Stubborn Pitman Arm??

Hi Guys,

I am having a few dramas removing the pitman arm off a VE valiant. I have already broken two pitman arm pullers and a gear puller on it.

Are they always this hard to remove or is this one just stubborn??

Does anyone know of any tricks etc... I have already soaked it in WD40, it was the first thing I tried but no go :-(

Regards,
David Thomson
Old 08-26-2001, 08:27 AM
Inactive User

What I usually do is with a stubborn pittman arm is to soak with PB Blaster(similar to WD-40) and use a little persuasion from a big hammer on the actual pittman arm while applying force on the pittman arm puller.Sometimes takes 2 people to do this.
Old 08-26-2001, 08:41 AM
Inactive User

Thanks Christopher, I was thinking of trying something like this. Not tonight though.

Would it be easier to get at it if I pulled the steering box out? Would this take long to do?

Regards,
David Thomson
Old 08-26-2001, 09:24 AM
Inactive User

WHAT I DO IS HEAT THE PITMAN @ THE OUTPUT SHAFT, TAKING CARE NOT TO USE DIRECT FLAME TO THE SEAL. LITTLE BRAZING TIP WITH SMALL FLAME & JUST GETTING IT WARM, NOT RED HOT.
THIS WILL EXPAND THE PITMAN & NORMALLY PULLS OF EASY. I TRY NOT TO HEAT IT OVER TWICE IN ONE ATTEMPT, THE HEAT TRANSFERS TO SHAFT AFTER THAT & IS NOT GOOD.
BE CAREFUL HAMMERING ON THE PITMAN, YOU CAN DAMAGE THE WORM GEAR TO THE POINT THAT YOU HAVE A HARD BIND IN YOUR STEERING - LESSON LEARNED THE EXPENSIVE WAY.
IF YOU HAVE THE TOOLS TRY THIS - IF NOT YOU MAY WANT TO TAKE TO MECH SHOP SO IT'S THEIR FAULT IF THE TEAR SOMETHING UP.
GOOD LUCK
Old 08-26-2001, 07:44 PM
Inactive User

Just pulled the original pitman arm on my 68 RR. My suggestion would be to work slow and careful. I did this job in conjunction with rebuilding my front end. Sprayed everything, including pitman arm, 3 different times with PB Blaster. When you're ready to pull the arm, install the puller and spray the arm again. Get a cup of coffee. Tap on the arm with an 8 oz ball peen hammer and apply more pressure with the puller. Spray the arm periodically with more Penetrant. Keep alternating with tension from the puller and tapping with the hammer. Don't try to do it too quickly so you let the penetrant work. Steady tension on the arm with taps from a hammer got mine off in about 20 minutes.