Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-27-2001, 08:49 AM
Inactive User

Default Magnum engine in a 66 A-body.

As you guys know my wife has a 66 Barracuda with a 273. We also have a friend with a 99 Dakota R/T. He is pulling the engine for a 360/408 stroker. We have dips on the original engine. Would it be hard to swap the electronics over? I dont think so. However the biggest problems is accroding to the local Dakota club, they say the bell housing wont bolt up to a 99 Magnum engine. The plan is a new Fue linjected Magnum with a 833 4-speed. Will this work? Will I need the rad from the truck also. The R/T has a 15 quart, and the Barracuda has a 18 quart as per the service manual. Will the truck oil pan work or do I just need any passenger car 360 oil pan? Anyone else do a retro fit engine swap? The barracuda will not have the P/S or A/C on it. Just the alternator. (The way the car left the factory. Almost )

Bob
Old 08-27-2001, 08:54 AM
Inactive User

truck oil pan is rear i think cars are center or front. if so also need new pump pick up. i dont know about the electronis but you can always put a carb on it. they sell magnum 4bbl intakes. i think that any kind of 360 requires a engine mount change on one side. when swapping over from 273/318/360. i could be wrong as i have many times before.
Old 09-01-2001, 04:26 PM
Inactive User

As far as the electronics go, The PCM controls just the engine. I know Ig have to use the flywheel of the magnum due to the crankshaft position sensor being back there. The only thing that pcm controls on the man tranny is a fuel economy shift indicator. I think that I should be able to drop in the entire engine and harness and bolt it to an 833. I think. I know that the oil pan has to be swapped but what about the oil pickup? will it fit in the car oil pan? The cooling system question is still bugging me. I want to keep it fuel injected. I'm going for the best of both worlds thing. Old school looks with New school power. Smooth idle good amount of power and somewhat "brainless" drivability
Old 09-02-2001, 12:48 AM

a rear sump pan oil pickup wont fit a center sump pan. You need the center sump in your car and I would use the one you got due to the fact it has some strategic dents in it for steering clearance. You might need a passenger inlet radiator also, not your driver side one.
Old 09-02-2001, 12:55 AM
Inactive User

Ok in that case will my 273 oil pick up work? I do have a 360 a body oil pan already.
As far as I can tell the Radiator inlet is the same. I'll have hubby check the dakota to know for certain. (unfortunately our dakota is in arizona with him )I only know what I have read from service manuals and mopar engines book.
Old 09-02-2001, 08:48 AM
Inactive User

the outlet of the water pump will probably come out on the passenger side of the magnum engine, unlike the driver's side of your 273. Huges Makes an adapter so you can use a 273 timingchain cover and water pump on a magnum engine.
Old 09-02-2001, 09:22 AM
Inactive User

Default engine swap

I have a 68 barracuda that i might change over i have a 98 318 and a over drive trans thinking about doing the same hope it works there are some wright ups on swap in some of the mopar mags I will try to find them
Old 09-02-2001, 11:56 AM
Inactive User

I found one article in Hot Rod about a 70 Challenger. Very Very Vague on how he did it exactly. I know he has a msd 6al and a vortech, stock fuel system from a ram, custom pcm, and an aluminum radiator with an electric fan. But that's all it says about it other than he's running 12's and getting 20mpg. f you can locate any articles that state what to do I'd really appreciate it. I;ve written a few letters to see if anyone knows exactly what I need to swap but I used snail mail and we know how that goes.
Old 09-02-2001, 12:35 PM
Inactive User

Default ok

Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyMoparGirl
I found one article in Hot Rod about a 70 Challenger. Very Very Vague on how he did it exactly. I know he has a msd 6al and a vortech, stock fuel system from a ram, custom pcm, and an aluminum radiator with an electric fan. But that's all it says about it other than he's running 12's and getting 20mpg. f you can locate any articles that state what to do I'd really appreciate it. I;ve written a few letters to see if anyone knows exactly what I need to swap but I used snail mail and we know how that goes.
ok I will check my collection I know about the challenger i have seen it in person