Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-31-1999, 04:08 PM
Inactive User

Im building a 440 to install in a 65 Plymouth Belvedere. are there any used StageV or whatever heads out there. Most engine builders recommend upgrading to the newer design heads instead of rebuilding the 30 year old 906s but $560 apiece is a little steep for this budget builder. I would like to keep my wife if you know what I mean!!
Old 08-31-1999, 05:35 PM
Inactive User

Find a set of 452's in the wrecking yard and install the 2.14/1.81 valves in them.These flow as well as 906's and have unleaded seats as well.
Old 08-31-1999, 05:37 PM
Inactive User

Thomas, this has been a hot topic over the past few months. If you go back a page or two in these postings, you will find some interesting information. @ the bottom of each topic posting there are numbers on the right of the screen. Click on these to go back and forth to previous or more current pages and topics.
The 906 heads will be okay for just about any ~11 second street/drag machine. They don't have the so called hardened exhaust valve seats. As I mentioned in a posting reply yesterday, you can put in about 4 ounces of Mystery Oil per tank full of gasoline to substitute for the absense of the lubricating lead no longer available in leaded gasoline. The 452 heads are newer and have the hardened seats. If I were you, I'd go with the 906s and use the "ole Mystery Oil trick!" It'll save you a few $s. If you do a mild port 'n polish job and port matching of the intake and exhaust ports, you'll have a nice set of heads that will suffice for most anything short of a extremely modified engine or an all out drag racing application.
In my opinion, costly heads either cast iron or aluminum for street use & or occasional drag racing is a waste of money. These "clowns" that have the bucks to put into a ~$100 thousand dollar car are, well, silly to say the least. It just isn't practical and needless to say, most of us will never be able to afford such foolishness. What I'm saying is that you can do a lot with the little you have. Those 906 heads have a lot of potential.

Richard

Let's see what I've got started here!
As for keeping your wife, well all I can say is that you must be a newly wed or she's extra special. I'll leave it @ that!
Old 09-06-1999, 03:01 PM

Take a look at hughesengines.com
Old 09-20-1999, 03:07 PM

Question

Hi,

In response to the Mystery Oil trick, I've got a '60 383 with stock heads that I'm rebuilding. (I'm not sure what number they are.) Does anyone know if I should be adding the oil to the unleaded gas when I get this baby running again?

I'm gonna guess that I should....

Thanks,

pat
Old 09-22-1999, 03:58 AM
Inactive User

They have the old style seats and with the weight you are pulling,I'd seriously go with a later model head,such as the 452's and use those.Plus the valve size is bigger and you'll enjoy that also.
Old 09-23-1999, 05:54 PM
Inactive User

Well, I guess I missed the boat on the load business Christopher mentioned that Pat will be pulling on those stock '60 heads with his/her 383 in whatever vehicle. To answer your question Pat, yes, just add 4 ounces to every fill-up of the gas tank (you may want to add a few more ounces if it's a huge gas tank) and you shouldn't have any problems because of unleaded fuel. Just to irritate Christopher, I guess no matter what this old fart says about "the old mystery oil trick", he always wants to use those 452 "performance" heads! I'll agree with Christopher that if it's performance you're after, go with a performance head. However,if you just want reliable cheap transportation, then use the 383 heads you have along w/ the mystery oil.

Richard
Old 09-24-1999, 06:10 AM
Inactive User

Irritate me??? No Way!!! My reasoning for using 452's is that they are plentiful in a wrecking yard,have the hard seats,and by now most 906 heads have had too many valve jobs performed on them.Plus in Pat's case he has small valve heads,(smaller than the 906's)and he would see a increase in performance.I have several sets of 906's,but they were VERY hard to come by.452's I can find all day.