Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-16-2000, 01:13 AM
Inactive User

I'm redoing my suspension, and am trying to decide between MP XHD or SS springs. I know the SS springs are much stiffer in the front section than the rear, and are the best for the strip. But I only take my street machine to the track about twice a year, yet like to carve canyon roads every weekend. What effect on cornering will the SS spings have? I'm willing to give up (some) e.t. for some g's, but want to make the best compromise. Anyone have any comparisons of both types in hard corners?
Old 11-16-2000, 03:07 AM
Inactive User

Hey 72 challenger

I have ss springs in my 70 challenger. My car handles great. The ss springs are stiff and you will know it going over bumps. But I got the 3400 pound springs (car weighs 3265 w/o me) and it sits awesome. My buddy got the 3600# for his 73 challenger and it sat like a blood hound!Just something to think about. Good luck!
Old 11-16-2000, 06:01 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Sat like a blood hound? What dos that look like? I had the XHD springs in my MAgnum. No problems, great handling. Never had the SS springs.
Old 11-16-2000, 06:45 AM
Inactive User

Then I guess my next question is to rumblefish. How does your car launch? It seems I have a choice of spring rates with the SS, and I'm not even sure of the rate of the XHD. I do want to be able to match the rear to the front, and there's quite an available selection of torsion bars. Does anyone know the spring rates of the XHD? I don't mind feeling the bumps, I expect it either way. I get the impression that the SS ones have a different arch for each side. It seems this would be okay for roundy-rounders, but what about road courses? I guess I'll get better handling whichever I choose, but I don't have the $ to buy them both and compare.

And yes, how does a bloodhound sit?
Old 11-16-2000, 08:19 AM
Inactive User

The XHD springs were used on the 440 and Hemi muscle cars to help handle the massive torque! They work simular to the SS springs, The SS springs are designed for drag racing and will shift the wieght of the car and apply a down force to the track by raising the car under high torque loads. Rasing the car( body ) effectively pushes the rear tires( axle ) DOWN! If you want good road handling AND drag strip performance, you might consider the Cal-Tracs offered by www.calvertracing.com hope this is of help to you!

------------------

Yes, it is reported that the at rest height is slightly lower on one side with SS.

[This message has been edited by montrose ram (edited November 16, 2000).]
Old 11-16-2000, 09:03 AM
Inactive User

Looks like I need to do my homework *before* I post. The chassis book says the XHD springs are biased too! But it doesn't give the spring rates of either type, though there are vehicle weight recommendations for the SS. Hmmm, seems like time for a call to the MP hotline....
Old 11-16-2000, 01:46 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

The car went striaght. The sprigs have one more spring on one side (bais) to help it go straight.
The SS springs are for drag racing. Not for the round tracks. The springs come with the same arch. There matched to keep the car at the same height in the rear. They also raise the rear of the car.
SS springs will handle more power than the XHD's. The XHD springs that came in the 440 & hemi cars won't handle to much more power than what there designed to take.
Those cars that had them were a little twisty of the line. Then again with the way they came off the factory line with thin tires and battery up front, etc. So with a set of wide tires and spring tuneing , you'll get to go right.
THE REAL QUESTION here is how much power is the eng. makeing? AND with what gears? WITH it's intended use?
I don't want to tell you that the XHD springs are for you when they may not be for you.
I would use them in a R/T type of car that sits level. S/S springs in something that see's more of a Street/strip type of life, or Strip life.
When I had my Magnum w/ the XHD springs. The car was set up to go head to head with cars like the, Monte carlo S/S, Olds 442, Mustang's, and other factory HI/PO cars.