Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-27-2001, 08:07 PM
Inactive User

Question A-500 lock-up & OD

I've heard that there is a wiring harness available for controlling OD and lock-up on an A-500/A-518 without the use of the factory computer. Has anybody heard about it? This harness had some sort of throttle position sensor that would kick it out of overdrive at 2/3+ throttle, to avoid 4th gear burnout. Any info would be helpful.

The Mopar Performance catalogue lists a wire harness with their A-500's, but not as a seperate item. Anybody installed one?
Old 08-27-2001, 10:36 PM
Inactive User

Just put the A-500 P#5249165 in a '99 r/t pickup and the "wiring harness" was just a 3 pin connector for o/d and lock up. Wired it in to the stock computer controller with alot of research but it all worked in the end. Bottom line, never heard of the tps controlling the shift points of the tranny alone.

Ron
Old 08-28-2001, 02:34 PM
Inactive User

Thanks. the only problem is that I am putting this trans on a carburated truck. No computer to do nuttin. How do I keep the trans from shifting into OD in 1st or 2nd. also the converter lockup. How does it get controlled? I have a factory service manual for a 91 Dakota. (Same year as the trans.) but the manual isn't written in stupidese so I am having a hard time finding out how it might work w/o a computer. Help!
Old 08-28-2001, 06:03 PM
owner of The Thing

well, this ain't quite the info you're looking for, but in the Mopar Performance Suspension manual it talks about putting a A-500 in a non-computer car. It lists a procedure for making a manual switch that allows you to control when the car can shift into OD.

They list step by step how to do it, and it sounded really easy, but i don't have the manual here at work, so e-mail me and I'll send you the info, if interested.

It's not computer or automatically controlled, and i don't remember them saying anything about automatic control in the MP suspension manual, but it's been a while sense I’ve read it.

I'm hoping to do the swap to a OD tranny when my current 904 craps out.

Toas
Old 08-30-2001, 03:25 PM
Inactive User

I wish I could find the article I saw a while ago. I think it was in Mopar Muscle but anyway in was how to make a OD trans work in a non computer controlled car by using some pressure switches on the outside of the trans case. These worked in conjunction with a tps or kickdown switch of something. I'm sure I've seen the article but I can't find it now. It may have even been Hot Rod magazine. It looked quiet detailed but not insurmountable.
This whole thing sort of sucks because the truck got disassembled before we got all the information assembled.