Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-28-2001, 07:37 PM
Inactive User

Default All ya'll speaking of :turbo's!

I saw a link once when I was on MOPARTS.com, about a guy with a Ford 302 Twin Turbo Capri. I thought it looked a little cheesy but he claimed mid-11's. Didn't look like a 13 sec. car to me.

He had the turbo's mounted where the battery would be on the drivers side and where the battery would be on the passneger side. A intercooler below the radiator and some weird looking 4"PVC all over. He claimed it melted a few times and modified heat sheild for it. He used regular ford SB manifolds and flipped them over dumping forward. Also.....he used a COOL looking intake box for his carbuerator. I wanna say it was a K&N piece but like none I have seen since this. It was round and about 1/4" thick 14" Diameter aluminum with one 4" intake like snorkel that the output from the intercooler fed. It had a 1/4" thick lid and he had a holley double pumper sitting inside. He said that his holley would handle 20psi no prob.

Us mopar guys have it hard, when it comes to being able to flip the manifolds over. Have you seen the prices in Summit and Jegs for make your own header kits?

I always thought that with a carbed motor you would be limited to a certain amount of boost because with the carb (and not FI) you can't change your curve. So it would either be lean or rich right? What about not being able to have your computer adjust your timing?

Just a few thoughts

Let me in on this too!!!!

Swinger
Old 08-28-2001, 10:56 PM
Inactive User

The guy's name is Mike Sitar. He's started (and encouraged) hoardes of folks to do the same. I was in the planning stages when I found his site.
If you go back and check out his page again, you'll see that he injects more fuel around 4 psi. This helped him overcome the boost limitations of a carb and has pushed him into the 10s.
Here it is:
TT Capri
I'd really like to build a site like his with my hot rod, but I'm not that good with computers. Besides, I haven't made the car certifiable for the strip yet.
Old 08-29-2001, 12:11 AM
Inactive User

i plan on using a header gasket as a template for the header. then run 1 5/8 or 1 3/4 tubing for a few inches. from there it ll dump in to some cheap ol' 2x3 tuing. it ll require some weird flanges and stuff but no pipe bending as i plan on using 2 1/2" stainless flex tubing for the bends.
Old 08-29-2001, 01:36 AM
Inactive User

Use hedman block huggers or sandersons shortie header,flip em upside down,piece of cake although slightly pricey cake,you could also use truck center dump manifolds too....PRO...
Old 08-29-2001, 01:52 AM
Inactive User

truck senter dump manifolds??? hehehe thats funny. this is going in a truck and i was gonna throw those skanked rusty manifolds in the local metal scrap.
Old 08-29-2001, 01:07 PM
Inactive User

Default tt440

If you can email me word Docs and Pictures I can make your page for you. In return I get to read how you did your setup.

email me if you are interested

danscan@danscan.net

dscan29113@aol.com
Old 08-29-2001, 09:55 PM
Inactive User

i havent tried those headders, but i know the stock manifolds wont do it. as far as flipping them over anyway. I went with spitfire headders and had them made to my specs. cost me $180 to the door. thats cheaper than a headder kit. works great!!

chalk mike sitar up for one of the main people helping me out. there are alot of the twin turbo 302 and 351's out there. and 10's arent that hard to do with boost. I havent gotten to the track yet. unfortunately i keep breaking things. but but but but..... one day it will work right. copper head gaskets and arp studs are on the way right now.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:11 PM
Inactive User

Hey Dewme5... did Harold make your set complete with square collector ends? I was thinking of having Harold make me up a set for my 66 Darts twin turbo'd 340

Do you have any pics of the headers he made for you? I know they were built well as I have been dealing with him for a while and have a set on my 65 Dart.
Old 08-30-2001, 08:50 AM
Inactive User

Swinger321: if you look back at the site you will see that it is in the 10's, the bonnet over the carb is from k&n and is only a bonnet and does not box the carb in at all, this is not required for a blow thru setup untill over 20 psi.. just have to have good throttle shaft seals.
Old 08-30-2001, 11:13 AM
Inactive User

You have to make sure that the carb you are using is compatible with using a hat like the K&N piece. Your air bleeds and vents all have to see the bonnet pressure and the float bowls have to have good sized passages to the bonnet to pressurize and depressurize quickly as boost changes.

Making air seals for the throttle shafts is the easiest and best way to go IMO.

With the carbs that are available now, there is not much reason to put a carb in a box any more.

Turbonetics also has a bonnet available to fit Holley flange carbs, if you do not like the K&N.
Old 08-30-2001, 08:48 PM
Inactive User

SRhea6566.... there are some pics on my website. address is on my signature. no, he didnt put the square ends on them. i actually made mine myself. when you look at the pics. everything black, harold did, everything silver. i did.