Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-15-2000, 08:13 PM
Inactive User

I have a '70 Bee with rallye (round) gauges. The dash is thrashed, so I was considering aftermarket gauges in the stock housing. I presume I would not need the stock gauge window lenses as the gauges are fully enclosed, also the gauges will be more flushed with the dash I presume. Looking in the MP catalog, I see the white in-dash gauges. Is this my best bet? How do they stay put once in place? I only want to put in what the car originally had (i.e. water temp, oil pressure, etc.) Also, gauges must be backlit for night driving as it will eventually be a daily driver. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2000, 10:24 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Dunc. ;

You won't need the plastic in front of the factory gauges any more. Put them to the side. If it's like my Magnum and my freinds Challenger, The the new gauge will slide in from the outside. It won't be flush or counter sunk. The bezel will sit on the dashboard face.
We used the 2 5/8 size. Measure yours before you buy. When I put mine in, it was a snug fit. Just a little hard to push them in.
They are back lit. Theres a wire for the bulb. You can splice into the headlight switch, or a constint hot and get a light switch. Mount it where ever.
These gauges are made by Auto Meter. There not cheap ethier. But they do look fine now don't they !?!
Old 11-15-2000, 10:27 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

OOOO I forgot....the gauges are held in from the back. With a "U" that gets held down by a round nut that threads on a stud one for each side (2. It should come with instructions.Easy stuff.
Old 11-15-2000, 11:05 PM
Inactive User

Duncan, do it, you won't regret it. I did the dash in my 1970 challenger with auto meter gauges and it looks great. I even took out the speedo and replaced it with a monster tach. Very clean looking when its done.

------------------
Old 11-16-2000, 11:09 AM
Inactive User

The MP white in-dash gauges with the subtle Pentastar logo are made by AutoMeter? I figure since my Bee's supposed to be limelight with white interior, the white faces will be all good. It's all right that they're not flushed with the dash. I forgot that they have a small lip around them. That's 100% all good, now I have a better understanding of HOW they're mounted. Makes perfect sense. I WAS considering Cyberdine (or other) digital gauges, but I don't know if that's an '80s thing. Imagine that: My '70s muscle car being stuck in the '80s! I like that the MP speedo has an odometer and trip meter, and where my tic-toc-tac is SUPPOSED to be, I'll just use their tach. Sounds like a plan... Are they liquid filled by chance?
Old 11-17-2000, 07:28 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

They do not appear to be filled with any liquid. And yes, by Auto meter.
Old 11-18-2000, 02:13 AM
Inactive User

Arrgh, just measured by gauges; while I think the tach and speedo will fit, the other gauges are very tiny: a guess is 1.75". The MP ones are 2 5/8"! Of course, since my tic-toc-tac is missing, perhaps just one white gauge for at least the tach. But then, the others will be of the open-face variety, flood lit, etc., and it may look wrong. Ugh, ugh. I'm sure someone makes smaller gauges, but I had my heart on the white MP ones! I'll go research some more... I think at this point my only requirement is that they're a matched set!
Old 11-18-2000, 06:10 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

I had a freind "Bore out" the holes in his dash. Can you do the same? Is there room? Can you offset the holes. 1 up 1 down kind off thing? If you can get it to a 2inch size, you'll be in luck. Iv'e seen 2inch gagues before. I'd still do the MoPar tach & speedo.
Old 11-18-2000, 08:26 PM
Inactive User

What I did was use the dash for a template (for size & mounting holes) and had a piece of brushed alum cut for tach,speedo & 6 gauges (3 top 3 bottom off set) and painless lit rockers & toggels (you could use stock switch's just cut how you want) it looks good and I didn't destroy a stock rallye insert someone someday may need-win win! I used all mopar gauges & tach blk and the wht speedo really is easy to read (I seem to forget speed limits!) and I love it when the other guys look in and see all ma mopar! good luck-c ya

------------------

Fast Ladies (Very Slow Gin)