Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-01-2001, 08:13 PM
Inactive User

Default Let's talk about CalTrac bars

So do those thing s work? I read the Car Craft article, but I always like to hear first hand experiance. Hard to install? Pricey? Alternatives? Will they make street tires hook or do you still need slicks?
Old 09-01-2001, 08:42 PM
Inactive User

How quick is your car? The cal-tracs sound like a time consuming pain in the butt to get them to work right. Some people are doing well with them. You can't use them with s.s. springs.
Old 09-01-2001, 08:48 PM
Inactive User

Default Why?

Iam running low 12's with just SS Springs and no problems. According the the MOPAR chasis manual you can go into I believe the low10's with just SS springs.
Old 09-01-2001, 08:53 PM
Inactive User

Not running SS springs, just hemi spec from mother. Haven't raced the Challenger in a year or so been doing other things. It was in mid 14's last time out, yeah that's slow but it's a worn out mismatched from leftover in the garage floor special, but not for long! Don't really want to fool w/ slicks, like to drive to track.
Old 09-01-2001, 08:59 PM
Inactive User

I'd go with s.s. or tri-city springs, I run s.s. with no snubber in the 11's, have a friend in the 10's with s.s. springs.
Old 09-01-2001, 09:06 PM
Inactive User

cool
but doesn't the ss springs take some work to get in there? I* used to know but I've been out of the car deal for awhile. Remember I like to drive mine all over, don't want kidney puncher ride or slicks to get down the track, just show up and haul ass.
Old 09-02-2001, 12:27 AM
HOT ROD JOHN

I have limited traction on my s.s springs and have run as fast as 10.86 in my 70 rdrnr but I dont think I would waste my time with caltracs.
Old 09-02-2001, 12:47 AM
Inactive User

Well, I'm looking for the besrt setup for street tires( maybe drag radials). I know you all aren't cutting 11's on street tires, you have to be running some kind of slick. What I'm looking for is the best setup to drive up and run. I don't want to change tires at the track or trailer it there so I need the best deal for that. Is anybody running these things(caltracs)? Iwant to know the limit to how far you can go on them(what e.t.) cause I remember the CC article showed the work pretty good and they ususally don't over inflate gains.
Old 09-02-2001, 03:11 AM
Inactive User

Have you checked out their web site www.calvertracing.com ? I'm also considering them. But to work best Cal-Trac advises using a mono-leaf set up. SS springs do have a track proven record. But i personally, dont want my car too high in back. Want it pretty much level. If I ever used the SS spring i would do what 71 scamp did to lower it. Unsure what effect this would have on launching the car as its my understanding that SS springs are meant to allow "rise" for planting rear tires. BTW, there are some pretty good DOT racing tires available. I like the Hoosier Quick-Time Pro. M/T ET Streets are also very good. They are actually 'slicks' in disguise. Good luck with whatever decide!
Old 09-02-2001, 10:51 AM
Inactive User

I run the caltracs in my low 11 second Dakota, and they have definitely helped. The adjusting on them is easy;simply tighten them down to the spring plus another half turn. The drawbacks are a harsh ride if you drive around on them tightened down. Clearance is better than slapper bars. They actually like a softer spring. I run the stockers from my Dakota. They are harder on shocks having a tendancy to pull them apart. John prefers to use Ranchos with them. I run CE shocks and have had no problem. I even tested them one time by loosening up only one side. The effect was dramatic. The truck lifted and torqued over bad to the side that was loose. They do work.
Tom
Old 09-02-2001, 11:08 AM
Inactive User

Thanks man, I knew somebody was runnning them. So can you leave them loose and still drivew around, they won't fall off? Carrying a rachet and a blanket to throw down wouldn't be bad so setup at the track would be easy. Maybe you could leave the arm(?) off and put it on at the track so the ride wouldn't be to bad?
Old 09-02-2001, 08:14 PM
Inactive User

It's easier than that. Simply back off on the nut holding the pivot bar taunt against the spring. On ce it it loose you can back off the pivot bar with your hand and drive it around. There is nothing that will fall off. At the track, hand tighten it back down than lock it down with the nut and a wrench. It takes about 1 minute.
Tom
Old 09-02-2001, 11:17 PM
Inactive User

Magnum440, the lowering blocks don't hamper the launch abilities, I ran a 1.58 60 ft. time today.
Old 09-03-2001, 01:49 AM
Inactive User

Default SS Springs w/ a 'tude

71 Scamp-Cool! Now you've given me something to think about! May i ask what shocks you use? And tire? I know my application is a little different. I have a 8 3/4 in a Challenger. I dont want to cut the frame if I dont have to--thought I'd just use the MP offset shackel. Your car does look sweet-but I cant remember if you said you moved the springs into the frame rail or not.
Old 09-03-2001, 03:36 AM
Inactive User

I used CAl Tracks in my street dart last year. Together with SS-springs they made no difference in 60 ft times compared to the SS springs alone. Many people have gotten good results with the cal tracs, but also with many other suspension styles. If you are looking at NHRA Stockers you can see that they use several different suspension set ups, and they all seem to work. Yet non of them will work as a 'magic tool'; in every case you need other parts and adjusting too to make the suspension work at its best. I'm using SS-springs without a snubber in my Dart, and they work somewhat although I wish they worked better. With ET Streets it run 1.52 60 ft yesterday and 10.06/139 mph in the 1/4. I believe the 60 ft could be a little better.
Old 09-03-2001, 03:44 AM
Inactive User

Default 10 sec is FAST

Dart66-It almost sounds like you need to go to a 4-link now. Altho, i think Andy Mayes is still using SS springs on his low 9 sec EZ street Challenger.
Old 09-03-2001, 05:22 AM
Inactive User

My intention is to install 4-links during the winter. The problem here is that we've got pretty strict rules considering car modifications and I have to 'cheat' a little to get the four link system approved. I will try to build it using floaters and leaf springs and after the yearly inspection switch over to coil overs. Have some other mods to do in the chassis too; I must get the chassis function properly before adding power to the engine. It kind of runs nicely at the moment but it would be so much nicer to run in the 9's than in the 10's with a pump gasser. In the future there is, surprise, twin turbos, aftercooler & EFI if our street car rules do not chenge soon.
Old 09-03-2001, 05:49 AM
Inactive User

I just joined the NSCA this year and its kinda frustrating. They want you to run leafs if they came stock on the car. The GM guys can run coil-overs. I'll probably put the SS springs on my car as its not that fast--maybe mid 11s right now.
Old 09-03-2001, 01:07 PM

With MT Sprotsman Pros (13") and factory SS springs I ran best of 11.2 at 121 with previous engine combo. You could try the DOT slicks but they do wear pretty fast on the street.
I'm now running tri-city springs and rancho shocks. With 31x13 slicks (sorry but thats the tires I use - the car would not hook with a street tire) - 1.5 sec 60', 10.2@134 at 3000'. Still dialing this engine in. This would be in the 9s at sea level. No problems with the springs, they work great.
Old 09-03-2001, 04:02 PM
Inactive User

I juts met a guy at the track a few weeks ago with a J/S Duster. He uses the Cal-Trac Bar with a mono leaf. He says they work great for the stick cars. He runs 12.20's and gets 1.56 60 ft's!!!!!!!. I've seen them work. Also he says that the Tri-City spring work great too.

My buddy ran 1.63's 60 ft at 12.00 with stock 6 cyl springs and a snubber. You don't always need to run the expensive parts. you just need to tune until you reach the limit.....then spend the money.

Mother gave us a great suspension.......GM and Phord guys have to spend money in the 14's we don't need to until the 12's!
Old 09-03-2001, 07:25 PM
Big Tuna

Wink

I have a 16 second Slant Duster that I just drove to Clay City and back (700 miles round trip) with Cal-Tracs on. They made about .03 difference on the short time when I put them on, but they made it a ton more consistent. If they can do that with a no-horsepower heavy car like mine, think what they can do for you. Also, Calvert told me that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should they be used with SS springs! All it takes to adjust them is a 1-1/8th inch wrench. Ride is a little harsh, but to me, they are worth it.
Old 09-03-2001, 08:26 PM
Inactive User

helped a friend put hem on his charger. if set up correctly they do a great job. it takes a little playing with adjustments to get the correct preload.
i have 70 cuda & had south side machine make the first pair of lift bars for an e -body. they have no adjsutment to worry about. my ride was not altered much & they do bite very well when tire pressure is reduced to 15 to 18 psi. the car runs 11.70's
i removed the rear sway bar & lower shock mounts & placed these babies on & no more burning down.
have no been dissapointed with stock springs & no relocation. they gave enough room for the 285/60/15's that have a 11.2 cross section with 4.5" backspaced whls.
hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2001, 01:53 AM
Inactive User

Default Southside Lift Bars

340MAN. How does your set-up differ from the Cal-trac? You mention eliminating lower shock mount, what type of shock are you using then? Are you talkng about "lift bars" like the SSM ones in Jegs catalog? They lists some for Mopar 'A' body but most are for GM and Ford.
Old 09-04-2001, 03:27 AM
Inactive User

Lift bars are pretty much like traction bars; their idea is to stiffen the front segment of thre leaf spring. Pretty much like the idea with the SS springs.
Old 09-04-2001, 03:37 AM
Inactive User

Default Lift Bars

In Jegs it mentions changing the "instant center", also, like the Cal-tracs are supposed to do. I dont know about TA, but you guys are giving me alot of useful info. This is great, thanks! Now I'm leaning towards the SS springs again--since I need new springs anyway to complete the restification of my Challengers suspension.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:28 AM
Inactive User

they are lift bar, just like in jegs. no they do not list them because mine is the first made for e-body. test & tune right now to see how they perform. so far they have improved my launch without burning down.
the purpose was to use stock springs - not ss springs & the changes related to them. they do just as advertised & do plant the rear tires.
they mount in place of the rear shock mount plate & have provisions to put the shock of your choice back in factory specs.
i've been told that i can get even a better bite with drag shocks, but dont like the ride. i'm not the kind of fella that likes tinkering with my ride, just to be doing something. i like to be able to use it @ anytime & not have to jack with anything to able to do so. i guess to many years working on these things. i run gabriel hijackers @ 45 psi for street use & 20 psi for drag. they cause me no problems & the ride is very good. these are shocks within a
shock air shocks. the bag is mainly for heigth. learned this trick from big brother that runs big block generic motors.
any other info i can help with just let me know.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:44 AM
Inactive User

It's basically just a traction bar that is purpose built for one model and works just like a traction bar. And don't laugh, traction bars work too when set up correctly. But just like the lift bar, they are ugly as hell
Old 09-04-2001, 10:58 AM
Inactive User

Azmopar,
I saw your wesite,very nice. Could you tell us a little bit more about your combo? Cam,compression,etc. Is that a indy maxx block I see?
Tom
Old 09-04-2001, 11:30 AM
Inactive User

good, this helped a bunch. to run the ss springs requires urgery right? i think i will stay away from them in that case.
Old 09-04-2001, 01:26 PM

one bad dakota - this is an Indy Maxx AL low deck (383/400) block, MP 4.15" crank, 4.5" Wisco, BME rods, 440-1 max port heads. CR 14:1, Comp Cams 284x288 with .700 lift roller, Milodon oil system, Dynamic 9", ProSystems Dominator, 727 with AL drums, MWE drive shaft, spool, axles, Wilwood brakes all round. TriCity Comp launcher springs and rancho shocks. Assembled engine weighs 470 lbs ready to run. Wt with me in car 3370 lbs. NHRA cert cage etc. All work done by myself. 7 runs on engine at this point - then it got to hot here - don't like going out to the track when its 110 and cooler wx is on its way here in the SW. Still working bugs out but expect to get into the 9's no problem.