Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-02-2001, 01:00 PM
Inactive User

Default ? about turbos

Will the turbos from the chrysler lebaron/new yorkers work well with a small block. i found a several in the local pick your part. are these the 2.2s that came with the Garrets? i'm thinking of turboing my duster, and trying to get all of the information before i start this. other than maximum boost, are there any other books that are recommended?
Old 09-02-2001, 04:50 PM
Inactive User

there is another good book.. Turbochargers by hugh macinnes. i've only heard bad about using the 2.2 turbos. guess they weren't good units. the 2.3 ford units. seem to be a much better one. that is what i went with. ive been priced between $25 and $250 for turbos. so no matter the condition. if they want more than $100 go to another yard.. cause you are getting ripped off. if you grab both of the books (turbochargers and maxium boost), you should be able to get all the info that you are going to need. how to read the compressor maps and such, so that you know what you need.
Old 09-04-2001, 01:11 PM
Moderate anarchist

Dunno where you're hearing about the bad Chryler turbos/good Ford ones. Unless you're confusing the later Mitsu turbos, which are kinda a bad choice cause they are real small.

The early Garrett turbos used on the 2.2 is the same basic turbo as the Ford 2.3's used. Slightly different wheel trim and inlet/outler mounting changes but the same basic unit.

One is probably too small for all but the smallest, most mild LA motor. I've got one I want to put on a 273 2bbl motor though. Unless I am willing to cut sheetmetal on my 65 Cuda I don't think two will fit under the hood. A larger turbo will prbably need sheetmetal massaging too. I think I'll design an external bypass wastegate to limit boost/turbo speed and not choke the engine.

I have a set of 2000 Ram truck manifolds to use for this setup. Sounds like fun to me.

Steve