Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Wheels & Tires Forum...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-03-2001, 09:05 AM
Banned

Default Chrome/Alum Wheels

1) What product do you use to best clean, polish, & protect your alum wheels?

2) Do you typically run them thru the winter? (when I got mine, I was told alot of guys switch back to stock wheels thru the winter to keep them from pitting...)
Old 09-03-2001, 11:20 AM
Inactive User

Hey those are great lookin wheels Greenmachine.
As far as cleaning, I just use the Zip car wash that I use on the rest of my truck. Seems to work pretty well.
Ive never done this myself, but my dad used to rub petrolium jelly all over the crome wheels of his vette for winter. (yes he used to drive it in winter. It wsa the only car he had a the time)
He said they would get a bit grubby looking from the jelly colecting road film, but when he cleaned them up in spring, they were still just like new under it all.

Nice web site too, BTW.
Old 09-03-2001, 10:13 PM
Banned

Thanks kwikfish!

Actually I think I've got some Zip wash......
That's a unique idea using petroleum jelly.
I guess I was wondering if there was anything like a wax or polish that is used to really make these puppies shine... I've tried a couple different things from Autozone, and it always seems to leave them a little hazy? Or maybe this is just the way alum wheels are meant to be? They still shine pretty decent if you step back away from them....
Old 09-04-2001, 10:00 AM
Inactive User

Those wheels look pretty shiney in that photo Greenmachine. I thought they were crome on steel at first.
I dont think you can get polised aluminum alloy to shine quite as much as crome though.
I think the main thing is to keep the crud off them so they dont pit and corode.
Old 09-14-2001, 10:08 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Alum Wheel Update

It's been a few days but....

The pic of my wheels above is when they were new. The front wheels mainly, had gotten a haze of brake dust on them. Today, I used some Eagle One Alum Wash & Cleaner. Using a bucket of clean water in the garage, I took a washing mitt, and wiped them down real good after I sprayed them with the cleaner. I got into the holes and bends real well, and they look good.
The Eagle One did the job.
Old 09-17-2001, 09:05 AM
Inactive User

My wheels aren't as nice as yours... but one suggestion that I picked up from dodgedakotas.com was to wax them as I would the rest of the truck. It works really well. I clean them with Meguiar's Hot Rims, then use Meguiar's Cleaning Wax.
Also, in between waxes, I take my truck to one of those places where you throw in 3 bucks and spray it yourself... I always put it on wax spray, just for the wheels and tires for extra protection, never on the rest of the truck though, don't like the quality of the shine on black paint.