Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-19-2000, 06:32 AM

I have a 74 Challenger that I'm wanting to put a 380 horse crate motor in. Mopar calls for an 750 cfm carb. Mopar used the traditional Holley setup when they done there dynos and tests. I'm thinking about using the Barry Grant Race Demon setup. I'm also going to be using a cool air ram induction. I have the black cast alum. Mopar Performance air cleaner with an induction system built on to it. It will have (2) 4" tubes running straight out to the front grill. There are (3) reasons why I'm running the induction. One, it's something different, two, I have a rally hood and I don't want to find a regular flat hood to put a scoop on and three, I don't care for hood scoops on a street/strip car.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with how the Barry Grant carbs perform. Are they better, worse or the same as a Holley? Does anybody have any tips on how to tune a carb for an induction setup?
Also, I chatted with a guy who purchased the 380 horse crate motor. He said he had it dynoed before he put it down in his Cuda. He said it produced 380 horse @ 5300 like Mopar said it would. But, he said he cranked up the rpm's to around 6000 and got close to 410 horse. Can anyone verify that?

Thanks,
Sly
Old 11-19-2000, 07:04 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

The create eng. has been dynoed at several MoPar mags and others mags as well. With the Holley it has ,ade over 400hp every time. The Barry Grant carb is the best! As far as your cold air system, i can not give a detail on it. It will require tuning like anything else. No real trick is needed to do it.It should be straight foward.
Old 11-19-2000, 02:06 PM
Inactive User

I would guess that the carbs are of the same high quality their fuel pumps and regulators are. My guess would be to jet it like one would a hood scoop type arrangement. Good luck. Maybe Santa is reading!!
Old 11-20-2000, 09:13 AM
Inactive User

I like my 850dp Speed Demon. I got it in a 72 Challenger/440. No bogs excellent response! And, well, I thing they're perty! btw, Welcome aboard, Sly Fox!

------------------

Old 11-20-2000, 03:35 PM
Inactive User

I was not happy with carbs and I have a friend that is certainly not happy with thier pumps after going through 3 400 pumps in less than a year. Not to mention, everything in the pump is proprietary so you have to go back to Grant for everything.

As for the carb, I purchased one for a customers car. I was told over the phone that it would be built specifically to the cars requirements. I got the carb, bolted it on car and we went out to test. Ran 10.20 right off the trailer and everyone was pretty happy. Made another pass and then checked the plugs. We found all of the plugs covered with aluminum and several ground electrodes burned off. Now, the Demon carbs are real pretty, but at the track maintenance, forget it. Those counter sunk float bowl bolts are terrible, and on a lot of cars it is impossible to get a 1/4" allen in the back bowls.

Anyway, we got the float bowls off and found 74 primary jets and 82 secondaries with power valves in a 960 cfm race demon. After dumping the power valves and eventually rejetting to 92 square, the engine is happy, the plugs live and the car has run 9.90's. I called Demon to gripe at them and suddenly the story got changed to, no, we dont custom build them, you have to tune them. For $850, I will take my business elsewhere next time, not to mention, I really didnt see where it has performed that much better than a standard Holley that has been tuned correctly.
Old 11-21-2000, 06:54 AM
Inactive User

At least I had no belief that they were custom built. I had a 1000 cfm race demon street model, it was about 850$ too. It run pretty well and is currently in out of the box condition. No problems with tuning or maintenance either, there are tools for different kind of jobs. Still, the price of the racedemons are pretty high; very close to a Pro custom built Holley, and they are propably even better. The streetdemon are way less expensive, and they are the ones I think are a sensible purchase.
Old 11-21-2000, 10:58 PM

I have a Speed Demon 850 double pumper. It came with 85/92 jets front/back and a power valve in the front only. After jetting for my mild 440, I am at 81/87.

The carb seems well built. I like the allen screws that hold the float bowls on. I can't use my long T-handled allen wrench on the back, but a standard allen wrench ("L" shaped) works great.

For clarification, I see the Road Demon $300, Speed Demon series $425, Race Demon series $680, Race Demon removable venturi $900, King Demon $845.