Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-04-2001, 12:43 PM
owner of The Thing

Default Steering Column Roll Pin woes

Hello all,

I'm trying to remove the steering Column on my '68 318 power-steering B-Body, and can't get the roll pin out of the steering copling.

I've tried soaking it in WD-40 and then tapping it with a screwdriver, but it won't budge.

I'm going to buy a smaller punch, and that might give me better luck, but before i start really banging on it i wanted to be certain that I'm doing the right thing... this roll pin is removed via tapping out with a hammer, right? or am i being really stupid? the shop manual just says 'remove the roll pin' with no explanation as to what you do to remove the roll pin.

Thanks

Toast
Old 09-04-2001, 03:27 PM
Inactive User

i just recently removed my steering box in my 70 cuda , and yes the roll pin should just pop out, if it doesnt come out roll it over to the other side of the shaft and hit it through the other side , it worked for me. when you pull the steering box out, (this took me a while to figure out) you may know already though,,, loosen the steering shaft under the steering wheel and at the fire wall, and it will slide back enough to get the box out. have fun
Old 09-04-2001, 07:35 PM

I guess in the scheme of things - there are tools and then there are the right tools. The right tool is a 1/4" pin punch. A screwdriver will just bugger up the end of the pin and make it more difficult to remove.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:15 PM
Inactive User

I got mine out with a carrage bolt that was the same size as the inner diameter of the roll pin.
Old 09-05-2001, 12:26 AM

Does the steering box come out the bottom after all things are unbolted? My '65 A needs work, but I dont want to take my headers apart again (wrapped). There seems to be some space down there with some wiggling...
Old 09-05-2001, 02:03 AM
Inactive User

After a little cursing on the same thing, I learned my Duster had a slight taper to the roll pin, try the other side.
Old 09-06-2001, 03:09 AM
Inactive User

If the pin has been in the hole for a long time it may need a little bit of shock to get it loose. Get a drift or pin punch and have the steering shaft locked with the pin facing up and hit the punch square and hard once or twice. Roll pins are pretty tough. They can take the abuse. Just make sure you do not "bugger up" the hole or it may close up the coupling hole. Remember that roll pins are hardened and have a slit in them so you can not drill them out so be careful.