Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-04-2001, 11:25 PM
Inactive User

Default cracked header tube

Ok A body owners, How do you det the drivers side header off the car without disassembling the whole engine compartment?
Old 09-05-2001, 12:28 AM
Read : Untouchable

Default alright

well, i don't know what you've tried and what you haven't, so hear goes.
what year is it? i know they say it doesn't make a difference but my 69 was a lot harder than my 74
on the 74, pull the motor mount bolt out and jack the driver's side of the motor as high as it will go. if this still doesn't give you the room, use a come-along tied to a fence post to pull the motor that extra bit over to the passenger's side.

on my 69, unbolt both motor mounts (mounts are easier than the 74 anyways) and jack the motor all the way up. pull the starter bolts, the steering gear assembly and all tie rod ends/ drag link stuff (unless you have doug thorley headers. make note; these headers are definitely worth the money as they are WAY easier to install than any hedman/hooker/direct connection a body header ever made) and pull the header out. you will need a crowbar and be careful that you don't knock out a spark plug. that's about the extent of my header installing knowledge on a-bodies.

oh yeah, before i forget, you gotta pull the passenger's side header before you do anything to the driver's side. same with installation, except reversed; driver's side in first
Old 09-05-2001, 03:29 AM
Inactive User

My '74 was a nightmare! The headers are Hedman (hey, they were free) and I had to pull the starter, tie rod ends, fan (so it wouldn't dent my shroud) and motor mounts. My mounts are the old bisquit style like yours. Pop the dist. cap so you don't crack it against the firewall. I gained a little extra room by pulling my t-bar as well. Hooked a chain fromm the mount ear to the tail of my towtruck and up it went about a foot and a half before I had enough space to curse it in there. They still bottom about twice a day and if I'm stepping and cornering at the same time, they'll hit my steering coupler. SCARY! Save the money and buy the TTI's and forget all the headaches of the old full length headers if you can. If they're free, hey. A simple article on this particular subject was written by me at 3:00 a.m. one morning and can be found on the tech page of my homesite: www.southbaymopars.com