Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-05-2001, 01:55 AM
Inactive User

Default intake manifold

hey whats a good single plane highrise intake manifole for a 360?

also thinking of adding a hemi dart cuda scoop to my runner think it will look good?
Old 09-05-2001, 03:03 AM
Inactive User

The Mopar M1 or Edelbrock Torquer II are good dual plane intakes.

I have a new in the box Edelbrock Torquer II 360 intake that I will sell for $150. I bought this for a project 360 that never got built, because I built the 451 stroker engine
Old 09-05-2001, 06:08 PM
Inactive User

hey thanks i might take you up on that but as of right now im looking more toward the single plane . unless advised otherwise

which do yall think is better single of dual.?
Old 09-05-2001, 11:14 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

A M-1 comes as a daul plane or single plane intake. The Torker II is a single plane intake.
A dual plane has the edge in street or street/strip.
The Torker II is a street/strip intake. Best power made from 3500 and up. Its a little week on the lowend unless you really run a high gear ratio. (4.10's and up)
I have run one before with no complaints. Reved fast with screamin to end.
Now I'm running a RPM dual plane. All around a really nice intake. It gets me going a little quicker due to more torque being made.
Its an excellent S/S intake.
If your going the way of "All out racing" A single plane is what you want.
Old 09-06-2001, 02:45 PM
Inactive User

well i want a machine to smoke a 95 cobra mustang. my rear end ive been told is somewhere around like a 2.90? dont know for sure but i want to change it andput a 3.73. anybody suggest this. im running a auto so and as i said im gonna add cold air via a hood scoop and im plannin on puttin a high flow exuast. but i dont want to totally destroy what fuel mileage ive got now. i mean i expect to take a hit on it but i dont want to go down to like 5 mpg. been told that i need to get my hands on a polished single plane highrise.

i bought the car off of my brother in law and he put the 360 in it and i think he said a torqueflite 800 or something like that maybe it was a 900 ill have to ask again. he bored it over 40 and he said angle ground the heads and he said that its cammed as high as it can go with out a anti stall converter on it.

any suggestions all welcome
Old 09-06-2001, 04:34 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Anti stall converter????? Did he angle mill (ground) the heads all ready? What cam is in there? I'm getting a little lost in what you have.
I would suggest a little reading for you. How to hot rod your small block mopar by Larry sheppard and how to rebuild your small block by Taylor & Hofer are both by HP books. Good reading And they will help you out a ton.
Last years MoPar Performance catolog or thew new small block book has "hints" on running your 360 in what ever time bracket you want. There are fellas here running 12's with good gas mileage. Will they step up and shout for this young man.
Below is what I run. I havn't got a chance to finish dialing it in yet. But its smokin as is.

71scamp, PRO, tell'em how you did it.
Old 09-07-2001, 12:18 AM
Inactive User

sorry

anti stall torque converter
already angle milled (ground)
dont know cam size but it will barely idle
he said it was cammed to the max with out a antistall torque converter? im just now gettin in the car scene and most of the stuff ive been told to this point i think is mostly bs

so i come here for help.

all i need to know right now is on my 360 street machine shoud i use a single plane like the torquer or a dual plane?
Old 09-07-2001, 12:44 AM
Inactive User

your right most stuff you've listed there is BS

Anti-stall convertor?? never heard that one before.

Ok, let's start from the beginning. What sort of car is it and how fast do you want it to run? Will it be a daily driver or a weekend warrior?

Give us these details and I'm sure myeslf and the fine people on this forum can come up with a formula for you to follow.

No offense but your brother-in-law sounds like an idiot!! Ther's no such thing as a torqueflite 800 or 900, there is a 904 and a 727 (there's some others but let's not confuse things, those 2 are the most common. Angle milling the head is a chev trick which you'll want to correct or better still, toss the heads and get some decent ones. If you can find out what the cam is maybe it will be fine and you wont have to get another but sometimes it''s better to replace an unknown quantity with a known one.

I'm not trying to be rude but the people here have all pretty much been there and done that, so we'll be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 09-07-2001, 12:56 AM
Inactive User

ok its gonna be a weekend warrior
want to be as fast as possible with out destroing fuel mileage and be street legale in VA and on a limited budget so...

79 volare roadrunner 360. maybe he said a 904 i know he said it came out of truck cause he shreded the original after he bored and cammed it. ill get the cam #s tommorow.

maybe i just pay attention up untill now cause i someone else was talkin about a stall converter on here 2500 stall.?? probably just said it wrong

if i can get by with it i would like to try not to replace the head cause it was just rebuilt (cammed and all) about 20,000 ago

as i have said earlier i think its got like a 2.90 somthing rearend.
my first is to put in mopar performance electro magnetic ignition from jegs unless someone suggests a comprable (preformance and price wise) ignition.
Old 09-07-2001, 01:04 AM
Inactive User

If the car has 2.90 gears it will be a real dog out of the hole. The mods you list will probably hurt acceleration not help it. Follow Rumblefish's advice and do some research then choose components that work together. To get an idea of what works, here's a link to information condensed from the tips in the Mopar Performance catalog.

http://www.geocities.com/musclemopars/atips2.htm
Old 09-07-2001, 01:16 AM
Inactive User

thanks guys

one thing about it though. it may not be much for take off but its got good top end. ive pegged the speedo many a time no trouble
it only says 85 but i think ive been doing about 120
or more the last ticket it got. was for 120 and climbing
it a mean beast in its own right im just wanting more take off.
well thanks for da help will check into the stuff yall have said ans i shall return
Old 09-07-2001, 02:03 AM
Inactive User

Default intake manifold

Single plane & 2.90 gears don't mix. The other guys have got you on the right track. Don't spend your money 'til you know what you want to end up with. The 'fish is right - single plane equals at least 4:10s. For now, if ya' gotta spend your hard-earned cash, buy an Edelbrock Performer or Performer RPM. If you decide later you want to move your powerband up the RPM range, it'll be a lot easier to sell one of those than to sell a single plane(my opinion). If you want a solid, quick street car, that you can drive every day, year 'round, the folks on this roundtable will not mislead you(except - be careful of me). If you want a pure race car, the same appliies - there is a lot of knowledge and experience to be drawn here. Hope you learn to love this like I do...trash from...Doug
Old 09-07-2001, 02:21 AM
Inactive User

OK gears have to go, for starters, replace them with 3.5's as a minimum, athough 3.7 or 3.9's would be better.

If you trans is a late model one, it is quite possibly a 998 or 999 especially if it was out of a truck.

Ok, try this for a package.

Starting with the short block, you want around 9.5-10:1 compression, with some decent rod bolts. A windage tray, hi-vol oil pump and hi-vol sump would also be a good investment.

I suggest either a 284/.484" hydraulic cam or even a 292/.508" cam, both are mopar performance items. For a manifold, the best of the street items these days is the RPM performer Airgap, which rivals the Torker 2 for top end but blows it away for bottom end torque.

Now your heads will be a problem, because of the angle milling the manifold also has to be milled to suit so the mating surfaces match. If your budget allows the heads to go for are the Edelbrock performer aluminium heads, which will require no work to obtain decent power figures, especially with the cams i've listed. You coule however get another set of cast iron heads but at the end of the day after you buy new valves, springs and pay for porting, the heads will cost nearly as much.

now behind this you will need a high stall convertor, minimum 2800rpm but go for a 3000rpm stall. Add this to a shift kitted toqueflite (904 or 727) and the right gearing will see you into the high 12's down the quarter which will be enough to see of most mustangs.

Now your trans may be a problem if it is a lock-up trans, as typically you can't buy high stalls for these, although you can get a couple from Mopar performance. I would toss it and find a non-lockup 727 though for durability and ease of parts, especailly as your "F" body (I'm not up totally on your bodies in the states) is supposed to bit a bit on the beefy side.

It will be a steep learning curve but as long as you stick with it and don't stray from the recipe, you should be fine.

any comments anyone??
Old 09-07-2001, 03:45 AM
Inactive User

When I bought the Torquer II I was planning a 360 stroker engine with Brodix B-1 B/A heads and a roller cam. You know, big CID and alot of upper RPM Power. But I went with the big block stroker, even more CID and power