Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-05-2001, 03:57 AM
Inactive User

Default Hood Heat Reflector

I've got a '70 Barracuda 383cid 4-barrell in which the black insulation on the underside of the hood started falling off. Instead of letting it fall into the engine and get caught in the belts and fans and lord knows what else I ripped it out of there without mercy. The underside of my hood is painted and now it looks better, but someone told me that if I don't get another mat or reflective heat shield for the underside the heat from the engine will warp my hood. I'm not really worried because I really don't want to damage my twin bulge hood I've grown so accustom too. If anyone knows whether or not its safe to run without some kid of shield let me know. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 09-05-2001, 08:49 AM

Biggrin

Only time I've ever seen heat, warp a hood, was when the car was on fire! Unless you are doing a strict restoration, and the hood insulation has to be there, I wouldn't worry about it. If the insulation had been in good shape, I'd may say remove it carefully, so it could be saved. But if it was falling into the belts, time to get rid of it!
Old 09-05-2001, 02:54 PM
Inactive User

After I had my 73 Duster painted back in 1993 I ran the car without a hood pad for 4 years, after this time the paint on the hood was clearly being affected by the heat from the engine. I had the hood paint cut back, polished and fitted a pad in 1997. The paint still looks good now, so I would say although the heat is unlikely to warp the hood it could affect the paint.
Old 09-06-2001, 02:16 AM
Inactive User

Hood insulation is what the factory put on hoods to retain heat for the motor in winter. I would think that cars in Vegas or other hot parts of the world would have paint problems also with or without insulation but I have seen many that looked new still. A steel hood would have to get pretty hot to warp or distort. I would worry about paint problems if my hood was painted with latex or oil paint; even exterior paint.