Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-05-2001, 09:51 AM
Inactive User

Angry Smoke...Smoke.....and....more...Smoke!!

I have changed the oil and got a tune-up but I still don't know? I have a 68 Dodge Polara and the car smokes like crazy! When I start up the engine and press the gas pedal. A great big cloud of smoke white-gray comes out of the exhaust. I've even put on new vavle covers. So if you can think of anything I can do, it would turely be a help!
Old 09-05-2001, 10:01 AM
Inactive User

Default check you valve seals

Personally I think it might be a valve seal issue. Many 3.0L mittsubishi smoke because of the valve seals leaking oild down the valve into the motor. See if you valves have oil on them(requires pulling the head)

Or it could be your rings are shot.

Check your PCV valve. If that is bad it will cause lots of oil problems too.

hey look on the bright side if it was a new motor to get to the heads you would need a day just to take all of the junk off just to get to them.

Good luck and read my sig
Old 09-05-2001, 10:04 AM
Inactive User

aight, here goes. first ill assume that the no start problem got fixed. what was it? now, valve covers and exhaust smoke usually have nothing to do with one another. exhaust smoke is usually caused by a number of mechanical conditions, some of which are easy to fix. but there are some questions that need answerwed first. when you did the tune up, did you notice the if ends of the spark plugs were oily? ifthey were, then your car is probably burning oil. the next step is to figure out why. are all of your crankcase breathers clean? good pcv valve? what about ring seal of the engine? it could even be valve guide wear, or valve stem seals gone bad. if the other members post replies, hopefully they can tell you easy ways of testing for these things by means other than guesses. good luck.
Old 09-05-2001, 12:39 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by dusterbd
aight, here goes. first ill assume that the no start problem got fixed. what was it? now, valve covers and exhaust smoke usually have nothing to do with one another. exhaust smoke is usually caused by a number of mechanical conditions, some of which are easy to fix. but there are some questions that need answerwed first. when you did the tune up, did you notice the if ends of the spark plugs were oily? ifthey were, then your car is probably burning oil. the next step is to figure out why. are all of your crankcase breathers clean? good pcv valve? what about ring seal of the engine? it could even be valve guide wear, or valve stem seals gone bad. if the other members post replies, hopefully they can tell you easy ways of testing for these things by means other than guesses. good luck.
First of all I did get it start the next day. I put it in neutral and then started the car and it started up but I turned it on and off a few times in park and it came on but once I tried it again the car didn't make a sound as I turned the key. So I put it back in neutral then it started. So maybe it is the neutral safety thing. But I don't know where it is and how to check it or remove it to replace it. "when you did the tune up, did you notice the if ends of the spark plugs were oily?"- No I didn't see any oil. "are all of your crankcase breathers clean?" - I am not to sure what those are. If you mean the breathers that goes on top of the Valve cover holes then yeah they are clean because I just brought some new ones. "good pcv valve?" - Welllll, since I put on those new covers I didn't go buy a PCV valve just yet, but I can say that it was smoking before. "what about ring seal of the engine?" - Not sure what that is? If you tell me what that is then maybe I can check it.
Old 09-05-2001, 01:42 PM
Inactive User

O.K., your neutral safety switch is located on the left side of the trans toward the rear and is usually a round switch with three wires coming from it. This just threads out to replace it, although it sounds like yours might be able to be adjusted instead of replaced. Definitely sounds like your burning the oil, pretty common. Go ahead and replace your PCV and make sure your crankcase pressures are right. Pull your plugs out again and let us know what they look like, white, speckled, black, grey, etc.
Old 09-05-2001, 07:07 PM
Inactive User

If it smokes white for only a few seconds after you start the engine, then clears up, it's most likely the valve guide seals. It can also smoke white if there's coolant in the oil. You would be able to smell that. If it smokes all the time, probably rings. If the oil rings are shot, you would more than likely have some blow-by in the pan, maybe even in the oil breather on the valve cover. If it's bad blow-by, it could blow oil up out of the dipstick tube, and could blow it up into the breather. Do a compression test. Lotsaluck!
Old 09-05-2001, 10:25 PM
Inactive User

White smoke is water/coolant, blue is oil, gray/black is gas(running too rich). Look at what its doing and go from there. Also is the motor running ok (hesitating, smooth, boggs, etc,,,)? How many miles on motor? Is it fresh, orignal, unknown?
Good luck