Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-23-2000, 01:21 AM
Inactive User

well here goes. i had a problem with my 340 6pak engine.it was running terrible after a mild tear down. all i did was remove the engine tore it down BUT left the valve train and heads intact because the engine ran good it just needed new headers, have the carbs rebuilt and just a general clean up and fresh paint. after i put it back together and in stalled electronic ignition, istarted it up and it ran really rich. itried everything to get this thing to run right but to no avail. it just started to get worse. i finely tore it back down to find out one cam lobe was worn down + the lifter was chewed away. + no 8 cylinder was not firing. i checked compression, it was 175 lbs cold avg in all cylinders. what went wrong. iv ordered a new cam plus all valve springs. also i discovered there were two valve springs installed.[two much cam?] all lifters were very loose on there load. any suggestions on what happen? thanks guys.
Old 11-23-2000, 01:40 AM
Inactive User

SORRY TO HERE OF THE PROBLEM,DID YOU CRANK THE ENGINE ALOT AFTER INSTALLATION AND DRY START IT? POSSIBLE DID GOT IN DURING THE TEAR DOWN,OR THE CAM WAS ON ITSS WAY OUT TO BEGIN WITH.
Old 11-23-2000, 01:51 AM
Inactive User

yea i cranked it alot before it finally started.ya think that might have caused it?the one thing that bothers me is, why was no 8 cyl not firing?[that didnt have the bad lobe]i checked spark, it was good.comp was good.no leak down.do ya think that because the lifters were loose in play that the valvs wernt opening enough? i dont want to in stall new cam until im confident enough iv found the problem. thanks
Old 11-23-2000, 06:59 AM
Inactive User

sounds like the lobe may have been on Its way out before this issue finalized.When you install the new cam insure you pre lube the engine ,and set timing ,prefill the carbs with fuel etc so when it starts you keep the revs above 2000 for 10 mins at least.MAKE SURE ANY OTHER ISSUES ARE DEALT WITH BEFORE THE NEXT CAM IS INSTALLED SUCH AS ANY CARB PROBLEMS SO YOU ARE NOT OVER FUELING AND THIN OUT YOU LUBRICATION.GOOD LUCK