Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-23-2000, 03:31 AM
Inactive User

Angry

I would like some suggestions on how to remove a woodruft key from the end of a 318 crankshaft.

I have tried fire, penetrating oil, and hammering. The sucker has not moved.
Old 11-23-2000, 04:51 AM
Inactive User

Usually you can get them out by getting a chisel under one end of it and trying to hammer it up and out. The key is half moon shaped and goes pretty deep down into the crank
Old 11-23-2000, 07:32 AM

There is an aerosol product out there that freezes gum so you can get it out of carpets, usually sold at a janitorial supply house. This stuff is very rough on the hands, instant freeze..anyway, freeze that woodruff key, and whack it on one end with a hammer. With some luck the key, now shrunken by the freezing action will either rotate out, to get a grip with some vise grips, or shatter. Wear eye protection! I think heat would be the worst thing, since all things expand when heated. If all fails, use a worn down cutoff wheel approx. the diameter of the key groove, and cut it right down the middle along its axis. If you nick the crank, no big deal in this area. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2000, 09:45 AM
Inactive User

Cool

I have always been able to remove crank keys using this method. You need a good size of sidecutters. With the open end of the cutters pointed away from you, grab the end of the key and while gripping it tightly lift up on the handle of the cutters using the nose as a fulcrum. This has never failed to work for me.