Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-23-2000, 12:50 AM
Inactive User

I have a 1992 Plymouth Grand Voyager with a 3.3 V6 Chrysler motor. It will just shut off for no apparent reason just driving down the road or sitting at a idle. It usually restarts right away, but sometimes it takes several tries. I have taken it to the dealership twice and they have found nothing wrong but they have charged me plenty for things they said I "needed." The problem that I am having does not leave a code in the vehicle computer. It seems to happen more once the engine is very hot. I had a similar problem before and it was the engine speed sensor that signals the distributor pack when to fire, but we replaced this sensor at that time and the problem stopped. Has anyone heard of this kind of a problem with either the 3.3L engine or 92 Plymouth Grand Voyagers? The van also has a problem with the vehicle speed sensor in the differential section of the trans axle. When the vehicle is cold the speedometer and trip computer often do not register vehicle speed.
Old 11-23-2000, 08:48 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

My mother in law has the same problems. I cant find it. Now I'm checking for wires that may be cracked. Going all over this thing!!!
It acted up for awhile then stoped. It seems to come & go.
If you find something , let me know.
Old 11-23-2000, 10:14 PM
Inactive User

Question

Rumblefish360,
I will try to let you know what I find. Sounds like the same basic problem. This one seems to come and go, too. It has not done it any today so far, for which I praise the Lord. We use our vans in our ministry to the Marines & Sailors here at Camp Lejeune MCB. I just ran to Marines back to the base after our big feast. It has been a good Thanksgiving Day! Tomorrow we head north to Virginia and I think we may try using this van, but I am going to be praying all the way up and back. If anyone has a good idea then please let me know. By the way, I received one reply by e-mail and just for the info, 3.3 V6 motors are distributor-less (no distributor). They use a positioning sensor and a coil pack, which tends to make me think that the new sensor I bought may be bad already.
Old 11-23-2000, 11:57 PM
Inactive User

Most of the time it is one of three things,
1 fuel pump
2 cam sensor
3 crank sensor
A fuel pump will not set a code but is easy to check. A pressure gauge is installed on the engine and driven until it dies, if pressure is there (40psi) pump is ok.
Cam and crank sensors WILL set a code BUT ONLY if they stay "dead" for a good bit of time. (15 secs ) And good mechinac with a scan tool should be able to find this for you IF he can get the van to die, If not its a guess, If it happens after the engine is warm, i bet you have a cam or crank sensor going bad. As far as the speedo, the speed sensor or its connector known to be trouble areas.

------------------