Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-27-2000, 06:00 AM
Mopar Member

Hi all,
I am going to do another project and I would like to get one of those Mopar 500 cu. 575 horse engines. My question is: does anyone know anything about them? Are the streetable? I am planning to drive it on the street, mainly to car shows and playing. Any info is appreciated.
Old 09-27-2000, 06:10 AM
Inactive User

http://www.jimsautoparts.com/engineassy.htm
i'm a back yard mech, but old : ) The site above shows the diff crates and some specs. Saya that motor is discontinued, but i bet Summitracing.com has 1 if anybody does. The 505 looks ok at 9:1, but that big boy was over 10:1, but for shows only, why not.Good luck, i just got the 360/300 for drivin' around, we'll see.
Old 09-27-2000, 06:57 AM
Inactive User

Mancini Racing(all Mopar speed shop in Roseville, MI) has the 500" 575hp listed on their web site: www.manciniracing.com. I've done business with them for several years and they are reputable. Good luck.

------------------

Old 09-27-2000, 03:53 PM
Inactive User

I just picked up 1 of these. It was the 545 version which has the 1.5 rockers. The 1.6's will bring it to 575hp. I got mine from WestOaks Dodge in SoCal. Good luck trying to find anymore. I had called Summit, Mancini, Koller and they were all out. I just got lucky to find 1 laying around. Alot of these guys need to update their sites cus they dont have any BB wedge motors.
I havnt installed it yet. Still doing some inspection after hearing all the horror stories.

I am going to run mine on the street. Yeah it does has 10.25-1 comp. however with the alum heads it will actually drop 1 point. The cam seems fairly mild for a bigblock so im not worried about that. I might play around with different intakes though. I was earlier concerned about the siamese block but im not worried, i have a light car and will install a good cooling system and wont be pulling any trailers uphill in the desert.

Check back with the dealers after Jan 1 because these engines are supposed to be put back into production then.

Also check my site often cus i will try to keep it updated with info about the motor.
http://home.pacbell.net/briguyy/

Hope this helps!!

BBD
Old 09-27-2000, 05:45 PM
Mopar Member

Thanks, I just talked to Monicalli Chrysler-Plymouth in Michigan and they told me the same thing (Jan. 1 production).

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBlockDuster:
Still doing some inspection after hearing all the horror stories.

What kind of horror stories???
Old 09-27-2000, 10:58 PM
Inactive User

Horror stories like missing or different size bearing halves, loose rod and/or main bolts, different heads. Alot of which i heard on this board

BBD
Old 10-02-2000, 01:49 PM
Inactive User

different sized bearing halves is really very common in performance engine's. halves of std. and .001 are used often to clearance the crank. i've also heard many horror stories and don't think i'd ever buy a crate engine...
Old 10-02-2000, 06:08 PM
Inactive User

Hold up, i have heard a couple stories from a couple guys, not a bunch. As it moves around it starts looking like an epidemic, i heard this, and i heard that... Call MPP, askem whats up, what would they do if it was a problem, but don't talk about it unless you saw it. All the postings in this topic are junior members, like me, a passerby. Ask a few members, they seem to actually know a lot. ! has a crate with no problems, actually has it, not heard about it. Ya, i'm sensative, i got a 360 crate going in now, and i didn't open it up to check jack. It will run fine outta the box, or they'll replace it. If there was a bunch a junk motors being sold you'd hear it everywhere, i haven't seen a thing till i got here, and mostly from "junior members". So take this stuff with a grain a salt. 10 good motors and 100 people know, 1 bad motor and the internet, and 10,000 know. Be cool.

Old 10-02-2000, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBlockDuster:

Also check my site often cus i will try to keep it updated with info about the motor.
http://home.pacbell.net/briguyy/

Hope this helps!!

BBD

Thanks for the web site with your motor info, very informative. If you pull a main cap, write down the number on the back of the bearing, ie. Clevite 77, MB 2xxx. I wonder if they use the full groove, wide groove bearings sold by MP, made by Clevite. What clearances did the plastigage show?

------------------
440 Jim
E-Body Fish
Old 10-02-2000, 09:02 PM
Inactive User

Local dealer got in a 575 hp motor for a customer. Turns out that the 1.6 rockers come in a box, not installed. When you go to install them the pushrods run into the heads. Guess that is why they aren't installed at the factory! They called me to see if I would do the machine work on the heads, but once the customer heard about all of this crap he refused to take delivery on the motor. Seems kind of dumb to me to be building motors that then have to be tore down in order to get them to even turn over. Guess that puts me in the "crate motor skeptic" camp!
Old 10-03-2000, 02:19 AM
Mopar Member

Thanks for the info! I was wondering why I was seeing 575hp and 545hp crate engines. Turns out that the 575hp are 545hp because of the rocker ratio. I don't know what Mopar is going to do but they are suppost to have it corrected when they start production again.
Old 10-03-2000, 05:34 AM
Inactive User

Well it would be a pretty easy fix to open up the pushrod clearance in the heads, it is just that they need to have the shop that machines the heads do it prior to assembly! One thing I'm disappointed about is that the Stage VI heads still don't look like they're machined very well. I bought a set of these heads a few years back and the quality of the machine work is third world at best. I keep hoping that someday someone who cares about quality will be hired to run MP but it doesn't seem to have happened yet. I end up remachining a lot of the MP parts that I buy. That works for me but I do feel sorry for people who don't have access to full machine shops.
Old 10-03-2000, 08:11 AM
Inactive User

I bought my set in '93, and they had been in the dealers self for quite a time before that. I also installed the 1.6 rockers and had to do some pushrod clearancing. I noticed the same thing as 451boy, all the pushrod holes were in different locations and different angles, like someone had bored them with a hand drill. Went back to 1.5's because of all the hassle with the 1.6's.
Old 10-03-2000, 09:16 AM
Inactive User

WE've all been chomping at the bit waiting for Mopar Performance to come thru for us. Mother is taking on alot right now-maybe too much for her(our) own good. Quality seems to be slowly improving. MP just really needs to make "Quality-Job #1"!! my .02

------------------

Old 11-24-2000, 06:25 AM
Inactive User

I am currently running a 500CID 575HP motor in my 1970 Cuda. You can see my car at: http://home.earthlink.net\~mrburke\cuda.htm The motor came with 1.5 blue anodized MP roller rockers and a .509/292 cam. My car has a shaker hood and the Stage VI heads would not work with the shaker air cleaner due to height. I fired up this motor and the intake immediately started leaking oil at the front valley rail and had a severe vacuum leak problem. Also, the Hooker Super Comps hit at the inner fenders due to the Stage VI's revised exhaust port height. I turned it off and removed the intake and found a 1/64th inch strip of RTV for a gasket! I replaced the M-1 Stage VI with the MP adapters and put on a Edelbrock RPM intake using new Mr.Gasket intake gaskets and a lot of RTV. It worked to stop the oil leak but I still had vacuum leaks causing extreme surging of the motor. I was disgusted at this point.
I then decided to put on the factory 1970 four-barrel intake and a set of Stage V heads from The Moparts Connection at $550 each assembled. This was in addition to dumping the .509 cam for a .504/272 Hughes Engines cam. Now everything works with FACTORY exhaust manifolds, intake, and Stage V heads. I will never run headers again because all they do is give you maybe 10% more horses for 1000% more headaches! Check out my site and see how to make a Crate motor look like a plain old 440!
p.s. - Crate motors are the best value going. If this kind of stuff was easy, anybody could do it.
Old 11-24-2000, 07:07 AM
Inactive User

I have used the stage VI's for over seven years now. Never had any problems like you described. First I made my own spacers out of aluminum flat between the M1 and the heads, I also made rails that bolt to the heads below the intake that hold the cut stock valley baffle in place. Between the spacers/intake/heads I used self cut paper gaskets. When I switched to a '451' short block, I just removed the spacers and used paper gaskets between the intake and the heads. No problems with headers either, I think that the plug access is way easier with headers than with manifolds at least in an A-body. The power difference between headers and manifolds depends on the hp level of the engine; in a stock engine it's way under 10% but in a high horsepower engine it may be way over that. If you can afford it, then I guess the manifolds are OK.
Old 11-24-2000, 01:03 PM
Inactive User

Cudaguy--It's amazing the things they dont tell you when you buy these crate motors! I'm surprised you even got the headers to bolt-on before hitting things! Headers are a necessary evil on a race motor! They due produce alot of unwanted heat and often make it a bit*& to change plugs!! But racers cant stand the idea of choking off a set of high flow heads with stock cast iron manifolds! Could'nt get your image to come up for me, but I'm sure she's a real sleeper!