Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-07-2001, 11:47 AM
Inactive User

Default Camshaft trouble

Here is a question I put up back when site went down so I wasn't able to get any of the replys. I will try it again now.
Has anyone had any trouble with the mopar performance camshafts? I put one of the MP .620 lift cams in my 440. It was a running car. It had a .590 in it which I took out and put in the .620. I used the recommended valve springs. Checked the spring installed height. Checked for guide to retainer clearance, piston to valve clearance, and also for coil bind on the spring. Put the thing all togather. Used the break in lube that came with the cam. Ran it in without the inner valve springs for the recommeded 20 min. at 2000-2500 rpm. Made sure the car didn't get hot during run in. After shutting the car of and checking things out it took 3 lobes off the cam. I thought maybe it was something I had done so I got another cam, double checked everything, tore the motor down to clean out the metal, ran it again and it took 2 lobes off. I called the mopar performance tech line and talked to them, they said "sounds like you did everything right, we don't know." They did warranty the cam gave me new engine bearings and gasket sets. I put the old .590 back in and it works fine. Any ideas? Soft cores?
Old 09-07-2001, 12:12 PM
Heavy Member

That is a bummer J! I don't use the cam lube that comes with the MP cams. I feel saver using the Crane Cams break-in lube. It is real thick, goes on like peanut butter & stays on the lobes until time to fire up.

What I don't like about the MP lube is that it is too thin & I worry that it could drip off in between the time of assembly & fire up.

That is my experience & have never had an issue using the Crane lube. Your post is just another reason why I won't use the MP lube.
Old 09-07-2001, 12:26 PM
Inactive User

I have just recently had trouble with Mopar cams. I went years with no probs and this year I smoked 2 .509 cams on breakin.
Now I don't even want to look at the car. Engine has to come out for inspection and likely new oil pump and bearings. I'm going over to the Hughes cams.
I have heard of people saying the Mopar lifters are soft and to use other lifters. With mine it was the lifters that got smoked. I had only seen lobes get smoked before and a little lifter wear but these lifters have holes in the bottom.
Old 09-07-2001, 12:38 PM
Inactive User

I know the feeling G. I was about ready to burn the thing. I don't if it was the lifters or cam itself. I never thought about the lifters being soft. That could be a problem, mine were sure cupped on the bottom. I know that I won't be using the MP cams again. I have put togather quite a few motors and installed a lot of cams. This was the first time I have had that happen to me. 2 times on the same car about made me sick.
Old 09-07-2001, 12:43 PM
Inactive User

I smoked a lobe using the .474/.474 280/280 Mp cam about 2 months ago in my 340. I had put the cam in about a year before that and had this strange ticking during deacceleration only. Well it finally trashed the lobe when i did an engine flush. I'm planning on putting in a Comp cam w/comp lifters. I havn't cleaned the motor yet but the machine shop want $1000 to do it. How much metal did you find ? I was debating just dropping the oil pan and cleaning everything from underneath and changing the oil pump.
Old 09-07-2001, 04:11 PM
Inactive User

Had a lot of metal in the oil pan. Had some imbedded in the main and rod bearings. It did not scratch up the crank, which I was very happy about. It put a few scratches in the oil pump rotors. Didn't find any imbedded in the piston skirts. I think it would be a good idea to take it apart and clean it out, even though it is kind of a pain. You probably could get away with dropping the pan and cleaning it out that way. That would get rid of the biggest share.