Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-08-2001, 11:33 PM
Inactive User

Default Edelbrock RB alum.heads problem(?)

I just purchased a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads for my roach as I have heard lots of good things about these. Small port B1s and Indy SRs are better but not THAT much better unmodified,looking at it cost-wise. Anyways,today a neighboor of mine,and Mopar guy of many years told me these heads(Edelbrocks),according to "somebody",have a valve seating problem out of the box. He said to disassemble and lap the valves. I have not heard of this problem and would think that a company like Edelbrock would not put out a problematic product without a recall of some sort or at least more people knowing about this problem. Is this a legitemate problem or just something somebody though was a problem and the word got out without substantial evidence?
Has anyone heard of this???
Old 09-09-2001, 02:44 AM
Inactive User

Default edelbrock rb

to 68 440 runner
first of all the best way to find out is too turn both heads on side and fill ports with water and observe for leaks between valve and seat.
Old 09-09-2001, 06:47 AM
Inactive User

I have heard of the problem when the small block heads first came out. I don't know if it is still a problem, or if it relates to the big block heads.
Old 09-09-2001, 01:31 PM
Inactive User

Default Edelbrock RB heads

Haven't heard of the problem. Haven't got the heads. Wish I had the heads. Can't afford the heads. .....oh, well.........poor me.......
Old 09-09-2001, 03:45 PM
Inactive User

Hughes engines made that statement,they also say that the flow is off drastically from 1 port to the next too,but I dont find it to be true as I bought a set of sb heads in 12/99 and they were perfect,my exh gas temp is all within 100* too,if someone can put doubt in your mind will it make you spend $ with them? come on EDELBROCK has had nearly a perfect record for what 50 yrs?...............PRO.........
Old 09-09-2001, 03:49 PM
Inactive User

Exactly,Pro!! If anything,Hughes flow numbers(for their modified heads) are GROSSLY over-exeggarated.Thanks for your help,guys.
Old 09-09-2001, 03:56 PM
Inactive User

Cool

The heads are fine right out of the box.......but as with all alum heads you should pull them after a few miles or a few track runs.. because the seats DO move around... the 2 inside exhast valves take in the most heat and the seats will move around the most... After break in and a freash valve job the seats will hold thier shape and sealing for many miles.....
Old 09-09-2001, 03:58 PM
Inactive User

Hughes is rite about not flowing the same numbers out of the box. The local machine shop tried this with all of the Eldebrocks heads and they did not match from one port to the next. He bought 2 sets of each head and they were off. If they are for a everyday car they are fine. But ask around the track and see what everyone says about them. Also Hughes flow number are not off. At least on the Magnum R/T head with stage 2 porting. A guy we race with has them and they are exact. These are heads that will going on the car this winter. But the Eldebrocks are not what they say they are out of the box. Its a proven fact now that more than one place has flow tested them.
Old 09-09-2001, 09:02 PM
Inactive User

I think Hughes, Ray Barton, Indy, and Hennesy all are offering the small block Edelbrock heads with a new valve job, and then they want to sell you some porting too.
The Big Block heads are so new that I haven't read too much about them yet.

Indy has a special cast small block head from Edelbrock that removes the pushrod pinch point in the intake, but they require offset rocker arms. They flow very good, might need a stronger race block with these heads
Old 09-10-2001, 07:20 AM
"BB Duster Maniac"

Default Consider the source

IMO, Hughes is just trying to sell cylinder heads. He's gonna float those kinds of things so people get scared and want to buy his "corrected" Edelbrock heads from him.
Old 09-10-2001, 07:31 PM
Inactive User

I forget which magizine it was in but it was either this months or last months mopar action I believe, They took a stock 906 headed 440 with roller cam ran it and tested an out of the box
edelbrock head against it and the power was greatly inhanced
after the swap to 552 horsepower with 9.7-10.0 to 1 compression
if that was what they make in there "uncorrected" form thats good enough for me Imagine what these things would do with a little porting......on a 474.. just my own thoughts.
Old 09-10-2001, 08:11 PM
Inactive User

Default eds heads

I BOUGHT A SET OF EDS HEADS AND CHECKED THE TOLERENCES ON THE INTAKES AND EXHAUST PORTS. THE INTAKE PORTS AROUND THE PUSHROD OPENINGS INSIDE THE PORT WERE OFF AS MUCH AS .040. THIS CAN BE CHECKED WITH A SNAP GUAGE AND MIC. I MADE NECESSARY CORECTIONS AND THEN I E-MAILED EDELBROCK TO SEE IF IT WAS OK TO REMOVE .100 AROUND THE PUSHROD OPENING[ IT SEEMED THAT PLENTY COULD BE REMOVED] AND THEY SAID THAT WAS FINE. ONCE THAT WAS DONE I POLISHED THE PORTS ESP THE ROOF OF THE EXHAUST PORT. ALL PORTS ARE NOW EQUAL AND THE BOWL AREA WAS POLISHED ALSO. THESE HEADS WILL RUN GOOD OUT OF THE BOX BUT WITH A LITTLE TIME AND EFFORT THEY CAN RUN AWESOME. DON'T MAKE A MISTAKE AND JUST INSTALL THEM AS IS. LET YOUR MOPAR RUN LIKE IT SHOULD, STOMPING MUDHOLES IN THE COMPETITION[ CHEVY'S AND PHORDS ].
Old 09-11-2001, 02:38 AM
Inactive User

Exactly,Pro!! If anything,Hughes flow numbers(for their modified heads) are GROSSLY over-exeggarated.Thanks for your help,guys.