Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-09-2001, 04:32 PM
Inactive User

Angry Edelbrock s/b aluminum head problems !

I am installing the heads right now and have run into several problems . At the moment the problem is finding sparkplugs , the stock plugs don't fit , and there was no information included with the heads stating which plugs would fit . If anybody out there knows what plugs to use please let me know as I am trying to get the car running today so the wife can go to work tomorrow .
thank you

BIG BLOCK BILL
Old 09-09-2001, 10:15 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Plugs suggested By Edelbrock are Champion RC12YC. They are a 5/8hex. You should use anti-seize thread lubricant to prevent galling and easy removal.
Old 09-10-2001, 02:31 AM
Inactive User

Thanks rumblefish , I bought the plugs and they work fine .
The other problems I had installing these heads are the alternator bracket and the drivers side exhaust manifold , they dont fit . On the alternator bracket it bolts to the water pump and the passenger side head at the bottom , on the stock head this portion is recessed about an inch and a half , on the edelbrock head it is flat , no recess at all . On the drivers side manifold it pinches in quite close to the head , on the stock head theres a scallop that clears the manifold , on the edelbrock its straight no clearance at all in fact the manifold hits the head before it can be tightened down leaving a rather large gap that I cured for now with four gaskets , I know this is a temporary fix until I can grind some clearence in the head , however I think edelbrock should have produced heads a little more like the stockers so all the stock pieces would bolt up .
Old 09-12-2001, 12:47 AM
Inactive User

Bill, be sure to let us know how you rectified your situation. I'm sure I'll be in the same boat shortly.

Be sure to let us know the "before" and "after" on the heads performance!

thanks and good luck,
Old 09-12-2001, 02:49 PM
Inactive User

You are running manifolds with those heads? You are basically putting a cork in any increased flow you may have gotten from the heads. You should really invest in a set of headers. Even cheap ones are better than the stock exhaust manifolds.
Old 09-12-2001, 07:34 PM
Inactive User

Chris , I fixed the alternator bracket problem by buying a cheap chrome bracket at kragen ( probably fits a shivy ) and cutting a bit off the end and drilling a new mounting hole , the original bracket is for a car with a/c , so the plan is to get another bracket at the salvage yard and cut and weld it to fit . The exhaust manifold was a little more difficult to fix, I had to remove the manifold , no easy job on a "A" body, and grind about a sixteenth of an inch off the head! After grinding it bolted up just fine. I talked to Edelbrock about these problems and they said I must have an early production set of heads because they now machine clearance in the heads, to fit the stock exhaust manifolds, they offered to machine mine for clearance, but I couldn't have the car out of service , it's the wife's daily driver .
Performance wise the heads havent really done much , the problem beeing there on a basically stock 73 340. Now before you all start calling me an idiot I do indeed have a plan. First I needed a set of heads asap, the stocker having burnt a valve on #7 and a stuck valve on #6. The Edelbrocks seemed like a good choice because of their performance potential, price, and availability, I called my local speed shop on thursday and had the heads on Friday. Second the plan is to build a stroker 360 for the little dart sport , I think those heads would be great on a 408 with a mild roller cam .
Dart, I agree , headers would be much better than the manifolds, and I am trying to convince the wife that she couldnt possibly live without a complete TTI exhaust system including those really nice step headers. I think if I keep telling her how great they would be I'll eventually wear her down and she'll give in.
BIG BLOCK BILL
Old 09-12-2001, 07:40 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

The heck with wearing her down, just do it.
Old 09-12-2001, 08:25 PM
Inactive User

Thanks Bill,

Did Edelbrock say that the newer production heads have clearance for the Alternator bracket as well as clearance for the manifolds? Or did they just fix the manifolds?

Did you use stock intake and carb as well?
Old 09-12-2001, 08:48 PM
Inactive User

Chris,

The fix is just for the exhaust manifolds , not the alternator , they said something about the water jacket in that area would not allow an easy fix , the guy I talked to said he had received only three calls in three years on the alternator bracket, and that it only applied to cars with a/c.

I recently installed an M-1 dual plane and an Edelbrock 600. The stock calibration on the 600 seems to be off quite a bit, the primaries are too lean and the secondaries seem too fat.

BIG BLOCK BILL
Old 09-13-2001, 11:51 AM
Inactive User

Hey Big Block Bill:

Ok I was just checking on you. I can see where replacing the stockers with the Edelbrock heads is a great start for future plans. I personally don't like the TTI stuff because of the cost. Schumacher should have a set of SB A-body headers that are like the shorty Headmans thay use for the RB A-body set up soon. I think those would be the ticket. You can get exhaust bent at a local shop for way cheaper than a TTI system. Besides you won't need 3" with an SB.

Good infor on the clearnace problems, I am going to install a set on my 360 Dart soon.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:46 AM
Inactive User

Angry

Hey BIG BLOCK BILL, i wish i had read your post before i purchased these Edelbrock heads for my 70 340 i just discovered the same problem w/ the alternator bracket plus the extra overhang on the front of the head will not allow the alternator to move back far enough to line up with the pulleys on my a/c comp & crank pulley, shame on you Edelbrock for not fixing this problem before putting these on the market for sale. anyone out there figure out how to fix this? any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:24 AM
Inactive User

shim the pulleys?
may work....
mike
Old 02-12-2003, 02:41 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb LOOSE THE A/C....

...Just think of the weight savings