Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-25-2000, 02:32 AM
Inactive User

Smile

Hi Guys, first thanks for all the help in the past, i appreciate it. Second, in reality i think all 3 major US auto makers make good rides and occassionally make a great one. I traded the Lil Red and My MArk in on a 2000 Lightning. i had a '93 for a year when they came out so i kinda knew the truck. Anyway, in the ong and short term it was an option i was looking at. i also looked at others, but love the Furd. No, it's not perfect and may not be a "great one" when all is said and done, but it rocks. Its everything i wanted, a vette, truck with good sound and looks. This is as close as i could come and i am very happy. Mopar may blast back into my life next round, but for now look out for that crazy silver bullet.

------------------
2000 Lightning, Silver.
'96 Mark VIII LSC
'79 DOdge Lil Red Express
"93 Mark VIII
Old 11-25-2000, 03:12 AM

I heard that the 'lil red express is faster than the lightning. Is that so?
Old 11-25-2000, 03:23 AM
Inactive User

Congrats! That truck sure is a beauty but look out next year when dodge releases its grounding rod for the lightning.

[This message has been edited by J D (edited November 24, 2000).]
Old 11-25-2000, 04:30 AM
Inactive User

If that furd makes your heart throb, who are we to judge? BTW, it does kick ass for the buck, but so do most true resto muscle cars.
Old 11-25-2000, 04:52 AM
Inactive User

Wink

Sorry to see your turning to the dark side..er..Ford side is complete! LOL! Just had to rib you once! How about an 80's to mid 90's Dakota with a stroker 413 SB!!! That will put you back in the seat!
Thunderhead
Old 11-25-2000, 05:34 AM
Inactive User

Hehe, thanks for the support guys, even in the face of adversity, Mopar shows honor : ) No the Lil Red is a couple hundred short of the Lightning, but there is a 21 year difference in every area, not a fair comparison. Now that Dakota, we'll see : ))
Kepp on truckin' and Happy Holidays.

------------------
2000 Lightning, Silver.
'96 Mark VIII LSC
'79 DOdge Lil Red Express
"93 Mark VIII
Old 11-27-2000, 02:02 AM
Inactive User

Well, I really think it is sad modern muscle that is somewhat affordable has to be a pickup truck. You can thank the Gubment and the EPA for that.
And to those who voted for the liberals that made real muscle cars part of history; they need to be put in a head lock till their head turns purple and then be left in the middle of a busy highway.
Old 11-27-2000, 03:08 AM
Inactive User

I seriously dont think you should write off modern muscle cars. They are faster off the showroom floor than almost all of the old clasics with the AC and the CD player pumping. It is sad that mother mopar does not have a great rear driver in the affordable range yet, but things will change in the future.
Peace JD
Old 11-27-2000, 04:43 AM
Inactive User

You are all right, the one thing thats for sure is change. You can adapt or become extinct. By no means do i mean buy newer models, i mean change happens and good things occur, unfortunately others are pushed aside, its evolution. The volution of cars and trucks are amazing given the short time period. 20 years in cars is an easy genration, give or take 5 years. I'm 43, i was born i the year of the Chevy and have said so many times, go ahead laugh, it's TRUE! '57 Chevy's are historic art, masterpieces of technological and mechanical abilities, pushing the limits of what a car could be. '57 T-Birds ruled too, i could go on and on as many of you could. Don't get me started on late 60s early 70s Mopar, man. Anyway, temporarily abandoning the classics for a contemporary wonder. I traded my driver and my Mopar, can only have so many toys ya know. 2003 Ram, lowered, smoothed down, special drive train and suspension with a V-10SC doing 13.5 out the door and still getting 16 mpg, watcha think?
Old 11-28-2000, 01:19 AM
Inactive User

Hey Reddawgy,
What are the performance specs of the new Lightning. I have seen but not heard.

One of the more recent Detroit vs the EPA was the case of the Grand National Buicks.
The second coming of an affordable outstand performer that was easily modified(incert chip here)
If any of you guys know a Grand National owner you know you can't scoff at a single turbo V6. Personally I always thought the Buick Regal line was ugly cheap cars. But it was the POWER TO WEIGHT ratio that made turbo V6 perform. And swap an EPROM to remove the boost limit? What more can a man ask for?? Well Buick had a hit on their hands and they couldn't keep up with the orders. But the rules changed. The turbo V6 couldn't pass the tighter emission standards for the next year. Buick had to drop it in favor of a smaller engine which wasn't a performer. The emission standards constantly get tighter on cars so the auto makers have to make pickup truck their performers because there are less restrictions.

Old 11-29-2000, 05:46 AM
Inactive User

hey there, the new specs are 380 net hp, up 15 from mine, and 450ft.lbs torque, both at around 4750, red line 5200. 4 speed overdrive goes to 140 both years, factory boost is around 8lbs, but that can easily be adjusted to 10 if desired.You can also adjust how quickly the SC responds and how hard it responds. I figure the factory sttings are a nice medium between all out and detuned. i have a 3.55:1, the '01 has a 3.73:1. Stock quarter is 13.9, low 13s with a few adjustments and a chip. Not too shabby for a truck off the showroom floor, lol. I would think not unlike driving off in a barnd new hemi cuda, or '67 vette, just plain fun. A Furd rep that participated in a test of Lightnings, cobra's and others said it kept up in all sorts of conditions just fine. I mentioned the Hp on my new MPP 360/300 and noted the 380 rating on the Furd and how i was only behind by 80hp. He stated the comparable dyno test was over 500 with boost, it feels like it. Who knows what those crazy people will think of next, and Mopar is about the craziest, Prowler, Viper. I cant drive them daily though, so they need to push the R/T harder or something. I'd love to say i only buy Mopar, but as i said before, they all make a good one now and again, U.S. that is. By the way, in a comparison i saw in "Truckin'", the Dakota R/T was second runner up in thier opinion to the Lightning and there were like 8 vehicles including a Benz SUV. Anyway, nothings perfect, but this'll do for now : ) Happy Holidays