Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-12-2001, 03:48 PM
Inactive User

Default speedo gear swap on 833

I'm getting sick of doing the mental conversion after going to different gears. I have the gear. Is this an easy swap? Can someone give me the rundown? Is this a 1/2 hour driveway job or do I have to dig into the tranny? This is on an 833 4-speed.

Thanks,

Keith
Old 09-12-2001, 04:07 PM
Inactive User

1/2 hour driveway job. get her up on ramps and drain the fluid. Follow the speedo cable to the tranny. there will be a "Y" or "U" shaped retainer holding the cable/gear assembly in the trans case. You can remove the cable,(unscrews with cresent wrench) if you like but it isn't required. Back out the retaining bolt (7/16 or 1/2) and slide out the speedo pinion assy. It may be a bit stubborn- just work it side to side ( gently)and it should pop out. Remove the old pinion gear and replace it with the correct one-take care to make sure the square drive of the speedo cable engages properly into the pinion gear,and take care not to slice the O ring seal around the pinion housing when re- installing it( a little fluid will help this alot)it the trans- and button her back up and refill the fluid. Unscrewing the cable from the pinion housing will make this easier if it becomes a problem engaging the square drive tang of the cable to the pinion.